Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is an adjustment on the brake light switch? My light stays on or flickers when the bike is at an idle. If i push out on the brake lever it goes out,but i dont see an adjustment any where on the grip.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Yes...

Where the linkage for the brake pedal goes into the master cylinder, it's a threaded rod. Depending on the year, the adjustment may be at the pedal end of the rod, or the master cylinder end of the rod.

Regardless, you want to make the rod a tad SHORTER.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If I'm reading correctly, you're talking about the front brake. I can only speak from Road King experience. If you have had the brake lever off or the whole assembly off, it is very easy to break off a little plastic button centered on the rubber cover on the switch. That button is pressed by the brake lever. If the button is broken off, the switch runs right at the "make" point making the light flash as you describe. I did that to my machine when I was lubing the twist grip. I went to the hardware store and got a small nylon bolt, cut the bolt to about 1/8" and used rubber cement to glue it to the rubber cover on the switch. All back to normal. Other choice- replace the switch and learn from this experience to pull the lever a little before re-assembling halves of the switch assembly. To the best of my knowledge, there is no adjustment for the front brake switch.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If I'm reading correctly, you're talking about the front brake. .........................To the best of my knowledge, there is no adjustment for the front brake switch.
You're correct....he IS talking about the front. I missed that. My bad.

But there is an adjustment....kind of. There's a small, metal tab that's mounted to the front brake master cylinder plunger. It's what presses on the the tiny plastic button to make the light go out. The button is housed in the right switch housing.

Here it is, seen via the master cylinder side, extending to the switch housing, pressing on the button. The lever's been removed to see it.

You can bend the tab away from the housing to make it contact less, or in, to contact more. However, most issues with the front brake are due to incorrect switch housing to master cylinder alignment. I'd check that first. :thumb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts