Harley Davidson Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Slave to the grind
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 94 FLSTC, when I turn on the ignition switch (or start it), the brake light stays on (as in both filiments in the light stay lite). I've changed out the bulb and still... If I hit either brake, the light does nothing.

I'm guessing there's a gounding issue somewhere but wanted to see if anyone else ran across this same issue and could norrow down the search area.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Probably not a grounding issue.
Remove one of the wires from the rear brake light switch and see if the problem persists,If it does then remove one of the wires from the handlebar switch,if the problem is still there then look for a cross short between the tail/ brake light wires in the rear fender or in the socket itself.
If the problem goes away by removing either brake light switch wires then replace the appropriate switch.
Keep in mind that the head/tail light comes on with the ignition switch in the run position.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I keep forgetting about this new stuff like microswitches and the different kinds of connector plugs that make things so much more easier to work on.
Guess i`m still living in the old Shovel head days.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Yea a switch most likely. Lotta folks get in trouble when they mess with the grps/brake lever and dont realize that theres a brake light switch in there.

·
Slave to the grind
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave63 nailed it!! I stopped by a shop Friday and a old school biker/owner told me the same thing. I went home and noticed the lever had a small gap at the switch control. Readjusted it and all's good. Thanks fro the help. I'm sure I'll need more as I learn about this bike.

Todd

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Most of us would reccomend getting the HD service manual for your particular model Tas.

·
Slave to the grind
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's one of the first things I'm looking for. You recommend a good place for one? Do they have a good troubleshooting section?

·
Registered
37,002 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
95 FXSTS Brake Light Problem Fixed

The brake light on my 1995 Softail Springer was staying on. I first checked the rear brake switch by removing the two connectors on it and checking continuity (of the two switch terminals) with a multimeter. It was OK. It was open normally and closed when the rear brake pedal was pushed.

After searching for "brake light won't turn off", I read this forum. I then adjusted the front brake assembly so that it was closer to the twist throttle grip assembly. That solved my problem of the brake light staying on!

Thanks to the previous posters and the search functions! I did not have to take my bike to the dealer! Now that is a savings!

:thumb

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Loosen the two torx screws that hold the reservior/lever unit and move it closer, then retighten.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Variation on success

You all inspired me to experiment on my new-to-me 95 FLSTC last night. Sure enough, it was the front brake light switch. In my case, though, I had to move the brake lever and the start/stop/signal assembly a little closer to the center of the bike (ie., 1/8" to the left as you face forward on the bike). I also found that if I tightened the torx screws on the s/s/sa too much, the switch wouldn't work. Loosen them just a bit and everything worked great. That doesn't make sense but I'm quickly figuring out, "whatever it takes to make it work is fine."

I also had an odd sense of bonding to my bike: "Oh, I'll have to work on it as well as ride it, I get it."

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't forget to wedge something behind the switch in the housing to poke it out as far as possible.
Some levers have a tab to bend tighter toward the switch.
Some levers don't and just get wallowed out. You can drill a small hole in the wallowed part and insert a round head screw that will work the switch just fine.
I learned all this the hard way because I buy used bikes; I've done all that crap before
Good luck, SS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.