Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Along for the Ride
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm inspecting my brakes before a trip, and the manual says minimum pad thickness is .016" front and rear. Sixteen thousandths of an inch brake pad doesn't seem like much. Just curious, does anyone know what a new pad measures? This is for a 2008 Ultra Classic, no ABS. Thanks,

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I seem to remember my new pads only being about 1/8 inch thick brand new, i think as long as you still see the groove in the misdle.of the pad your good. The groove is like a wear bar on the tires. I know my atv and bike pads look tiny compared to my trucks,,,,

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Along for the Ride
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I had just never seen a new pad, this will be the first set for the Harley. That would explain the .016" if you started with only .125"..

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I seem to remember my new pads only being about 1/8 inch thick brand new, i think as long as you still see the groove in the misdle.of the pad your good. The groove is like a wear bar on the tires. I know my atv and bike pads look tiny compared to my trucks,,,,

+1
The pads are a lot thinner then a cars pads to start with.

·
Retired citizen
22,072 Posts
Also the pads on the Brembo brakes are thinner than on the older Kelsey Hayes brakes. The Brembos on the '08 Ultra are approx. 3/16" thick when new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts