Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2014 Superlow 1200T with dealer installed V&H Big Radius Exhaust. I noticed today for the first time the brake pedal is hitting the heat shield when depressed. Now that I noticed it I think it's stopping the rear brake from being fully engaged. I will be heading back to the dealer but I was wondering if anybody else has this setup and if there is a way of adjusting the brake pedal? I've looked but don't see any way of adjust the rod to raise the pedal a little

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
Your HD dealer, with HD certified mechanics did the install and your brake pedal hits the exhaust and may not be giving you full braking capability? I would be talking to the dealership general manager. And I would also be finding a different dealer for future business.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your HD dealer, with HD certified mechanics did the install and your brake pedal hits the exhaust and may not be giving you full braking capability? I would be talking to the dealership general manager. And I would also be finding a different dealer for future business.
I planned on going back this morn and wouldn't ya know its raining pretty hard. I'll have to wait till Monday. This dealer, where I purchased the bike, is about 15 mins from my home and here on Long Island the next closest dealer is about 40 minutes away so I'm kind of stuck with Suffolk County Harley for now

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
I planned on going back this morn and wouldn't ya know its raining pretty hard. I'll have to wait till Monday. This dealer, where I purchased the bike, is about 15 mins from my home and here on Long Island the next closest dealer is about 40 minutes away so I'm kind of stuck with Suffolk County Harley for now

No you're not..... The closest dealer to me is over 40 minutes from home. I have to cross a state line to get to them too. They are only open during my working hours too. Talk about hard to get parts when I need them!

If you're riding there, 150 miles is too close! :laugh

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Stuck with the dealer with another only 40 minutes away, think about this. If the "close" dealer is giving you bad service, AND you get to ride an extra 25 minutes to get to the other dealer, this sounds great to me.

I ride ~90 miles to get to a trusted service department. I have another only ~16 miles from my front door, but they will never do any work on my bike, they did me wrong one too many times.

·
Wayward Son
23,356 Posts
Have one Dealership less then 10 miles from me. Another about 60.
But I go past both of them, 70 miles, to my trusted Indy.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Have one Dealership less then 10 miles from me. Another about 60.
But I go past both of them, 70 miles, to my trusted Indy.
Buddy you should be going to the closest one to save gas $$ and get that bike on the road.

But, I'm guessing the "Indy" has a web store and UPS delivery so you don't have to leave the basement. :eek:

·
Registered
844 Posts
the stealership where my wife and I bought our bikes is 3 miles from home. I had a major problem and they said it was how I was riding the bike. I then went to dealer 90 miles from home. They found some sorta sensor bad and after some time found that the wiring harness needed replacing. I have ridden 1000+ miles since getting the m/c back and have had no problems. I will always bypass the first shop and go to the second even if I have to put the bike on a trailer! Bad service is bad service and you don't have to put up with it!

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stuck with the dealer with another only 40 minutes away, think about this. If the "close" dealer is giving you bad service, AND you get to ride an extra 25 minutes to get to the other dealer, this sounds great to me.

I ride ~90 miles to get to a trusted service department. I have another only ~16 miles from my front door, but they will never do any work on my bike, they did me wrong one too many times.
I must say I do agree, but the other dealer is closer to NYC and that's not my most favorite place too be riding... cars and crazies all over. This is the first problem I have encountered with my dealer. I will see what they say on Monday. If they give me a hard time not only will I never go there again, but I'll be making a call to the Harley home office because the more I think about it the more annoyed I get. The brake isn't being fully depressed which is dangerous and it has damaged the heat shield. You can't tell it's hitting the heat shield unless you get down and look at the pedal. The brake always felt soft but I just thought that's how the rear brake should feel since I never owned a Harley before. I was checking torque on some critical fasteners when I noticed it.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Here's the bolt I am talking about but I do have forward controls and don't recall the mids View attachment 268729

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I would think the rod that attaches to the brake pedal would be adjustable. When i git my pants on i'll walk out to the shop and look at my original controls and rod. Mines an 05....your 2014 may be different though.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Just went out an checked, nope...no adjustment. looks like there would be.....:mad...The aftermarket one that came with my forward controls has adjustment on it.

·
Retired citizen
23,480 Posts
I think the later model Sportys have the adjustable rod. The adjusting end is at the master cylinder. Gotta disconnect the end at the pedal and screw it out to make it longer, that'll raise the pedal. Loosen the jam nut before you unscrew.

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I remove that retainer bolt it allows me to rotate the brake pedal back or forward then put it back in to keep it there. Mine are not stock controls. When I put the forwards on mine the guy who I traded my mids with had everything set so far forward I couldn't reach so I had to adjust the shifter and brake pedal. I may note that I don't know who made these as I traded someone else for them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since it was raining on Saturday I didn't bring the bike back to the dealer. I did drive there and speak to two mechanics and neither one knew if there was a way to adjust the pedal. One mech said they have to move the heat shield. I have no idea how he plans on doing that but I will find out Monday morn when I bring the bike in. I hope they don't give me a hard time replacing the already damaged heat shield.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I dropped the bike off at the dealer today. The service mechanic told me to leave it because he doesn't know what to do. The brake pedal can't be adjusted. They might have to give me a different exhaust, or forward controls, if V&H does't have a solution. He said being it's a new model Sportster he never saw this problem before. I said you would think the mech who did the install would have noticed the pedal was hitting while he had it up on the lift. Oh well I guess I'll wait and see what they do. All I know is it better not cost me anymore money.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts