Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 fat boy
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my Harley for a 2018 soft tail heritage but the air filter is hitting my knee and as a result my foot is only touching a quarter of the pedal. Any suggestions ? Any links will also help

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
4,346 Posts
They have aftermarket replacement pads that will extend it a little, that's what I did. You remove the stock rubber and it's another piece that bolts on. Sometimes they're called "brake pedal covers".

I got one made by Drag Specialties that I ordered off of Dennis Kirk. If you go on DK or J&P, just put in the year and model of your bike, then filter the parts to brake pedal pads.

This is the specific one that I have, but it won't fit your bike: Drag Specialties Chrome Brake Pedal Cover - 1610-0134

Here's a link for pads available for yours on J&P, some of which are extended: 2018 Harley-Davidson Softail Heritage Classic FLHC Brake Pedal Pads & Covers | JPCycles.com

You could also look at the Harley dealer and see if they have extended pads/covers.

Here's the first one I got, but I didn't like the look so I got a different one but the different one is the same brand and the same size, and this shot is comparing the new pad to the old one with the old pad lined up even with the bolt hole to show how much wider the aftermarket pad is:
Automotive tire Tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

·
Registered
1995 fat boy
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have aftermarket replacement pads that will extend it a little, that's what I did. You remove the stock rubber and it's another piece that bolts on. Sometimes they're called "brake pedal covers".

I got one made by Drag Specialties that I ordered off of Dennis Kirk. If you go on DK or J&P, just put in the year and model of your bike, then filter the parts to brake pedal pads.

This is the specific one that I have, but it won't fit your bike: Drag Specialties Chrome Brake Pedal Cover - 1610-0134

Here's a link for pads available for yours on J&P, some of which are extended: 2018 Harley-Davidson Softail Heritage Classic FLHC Brake Pedal Pads & Covers | JPCycles.com

You could also look at the Harley dealer and see if they have extended pads/covers.

Here's the first one I got, but I didn't like the look so I got a different one but the different one is the same brand and the same size, and this shot is comparing the new pad to the old one with the old pad lined up even with the bolt hole to show how much wider the aftermarket pad is:
View attachment 815884
I need it on the side of the pedal.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
4,346 Posts
I need it on the side of the pedal.
Although they go on top and replace the existing pad, they do make it wider out to the side, did you not look at it? There's some that's even extended. They will be wider than stock.

Nobody, as far as I know, makes just a side-extension (there would be no way to mount such a thing). This is basically your only option for a wider pedal is this or to get an entirely different pedal.

So it's something like that, an different pedal arm, or nothing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have probably solved you issue by now . On my 04 FLHCUTI I spaced the floorboard assemble out 5/8 of an inch I used extra heavy nuts as spacers and longer Grade 8 bolts that gave me a little knee room.
On my new HD a 2011 Dyna superglide I had the same problem, knee hitting the air cleaner and almost no brake pedal access, So I spaced the Peg and Brake pedal out 3/4 of an inch from the frame.
Rectangle Sleeve Collar Pink Beige

I made the spacer using stacked 3/8 inch aluminum, and had to install longer bolts. I painted it black and it just disappears unless you are looking for it
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Bumper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts