Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get expert (and non expert) opinions on a couple of questions.

1) I'm about to upgrade the front end. Progressive tube suspension, upgrade to 19 inch wheel (agitator black / chrome), new tire and chrome discs.
The question I have is, the parts guy told me he was going to order the discs with chrome only on the non pad area, or the 'raw' area of the disc. He said the reason is that if I get the whole disc chrome, it would wear out where the pads hit the disc and wear out over time anyway. True?

2) ok, so this is a stretch. Now that I'm looking at the 2015 RoadGlides, the only big difference is the faring. Sure, there are other differences, but the big improvement is the faring. The 2015 does have the modified cam but I'm not looking for more power beyond the stage 1 and dyno that has already been done. So, the question is, if I were brave enough, couldn't I swap out to the new faring? Sure there would be wiring challenges but I'm thinking it is doable. Thoughts?

Thanks guys in advance!

·
Registered
236 Posts
True on the rotors changing the fairing would be costly but doable if the parts are available.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
"Non expert" input. Chrome plating is microscopically thin. The chrome wears off the rotor within a few miles/applications, no problem. How would they prevent chrome from getting on the pad area? Chrome is electrically applied in a bath. I have never seen a partially chrome rotor.
As for the fairing, no input.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Non expert" input. Chrome plating is microscopically thin. The chrome wears off the rotor within a few miles/applications, no problem. How would they prevent chrome from getting on the pad area? Chrome is electrically applied in a bath. I have never seen a partially chrome rotor.
As for the fairing, no input.
Sounds like I should go with the 'raw' side disks. Doesn't leave much for chrome once you take the pads into consideration.....thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts