Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a stage 1 done on my 17 FLSS, Bassani Radial Sweepers (Chrome w slotted black heat shields), SE Air and Pro street tuner. Only 120 miles later and the chrome pipe off the rear cylinder is COOKED already! I expect chrome to blue after some time but ???

·
Retired citizen
22,893 Posts
The blue is from excess heat. Lean AFR creates excess heat. Thin wall exhaust blue up faster. Thin wall exhaust are lighter and cheaper to manufacture.
That being said, I would have the engine dyno tuned to get the AFR dialed in. A lean AFR makes more power but I would have it set to the ideal O2 readings at the exhaust end caps.
OR download a richer MAP from the Pro Street tuner website. OR wrap the header pipes !

·
91 FXLR
45 Posts
I have 2 bikes. I've spent a $200 Per Slipon Muffler ($400 for a set) to Re-Chrome. I've done each Bike 4 times. So I found this and I'm trying it. Like you I'm tired of spending my money on it.
A good Chrome'r to do the job right They have to Triple Chrome an item and they use Copper as a base to smooth out it's imperfections. But on Slipon Mufflers the Copper base will cause the Mufflers Chrome to Blacken or turn Blue every time. Why they don't use something else is beyond me.

The top Pipe on my Fatboy is what I used it on, so far its hanging in there.

So I took the Muffler and had it re-chromed. This process cleans it out enternally and it's got to be Clean to apply it. Got it back and sprayed the baffle real good, then the inside of the muffler real good. Put the Baffle back in wet. Let it dry for a day, then went for a long ride for the exhaust heat to cure it.

The name is:
Eastwood High Temp Internal Exhaust Coating and Nozzle $28.98

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yes, they can discolor fast. When I bought Freedom Exhaust SharkTail slip-ons I spent extra to get the "Never Blue" version. The "Never Blue" version just has a separate chrome heat shield over the actual muffler. This is how Harley does it from the factory. If you don't want your exhaust to turn blue you MUST have a separate piece of chromed metal over the exhaust.

This is only a problem with chrome. You can get black powder coat or ceramic that won't discolor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah man, I figured it’d happen over time, but 120 miles kind of surprised me. l may do just that, replace the slotted shields with the solid ones. Thanks for the reply !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The blue is from excess heat. Lean AFR creates excess heat. Thin wall exhaust blue up faster. Thin wall exhaust are lighter and cheaper to manufacture.
That being said, I would have the engine dyno tuned to get the AFR dialed in. A lean AFR makes more power but I would have it set to the ideal O2 readings at the exhaust end caps.
OR download a richer MAP from the Pro Street tuner website. OR wrap the header pipes !

Yes, thanks. I’ll be tweaking it, and either going with solid shields or wrap. Thnaks for to the info !

·
weird member
2,172 Posts
Some pipes have bluing resistance in them, but it only lasts so long. My V&H ProPipe claims to have resistance to bluing even though it has heat shields (which do more than just hide the pipe, they also redirect heat back to the pipe, keeping your legs cooler and keeping the pipe warmer, because warm pipes help the exhaust gasses flow better). And so far after 2 or something years, most of the pipe behind the heat shield isn't too discolored, of course the rear jug runs a little hotter, so the pipe is slightly yellowed right out of the head. The only part that's blued like that on mine is on the collector.

However, that looks like something got on the pipe. You have to make sure the pipes are clean and no oil, grease or chemicals get on them, because when the pipe heats up, it can blue them like that.

You sure you didn't accidentally drip any oil on it? Because where it's discolored looks right in line with the oil tank fill spout.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,160 Posts
Those pipes look like the kind a neighborhood hates. Perhaps they all got together and are dumping their dirty dishwater on them. :unsure:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just had a stage 1 done on my 17 FLSS, Bassani Radial Sweepers (Chrome w slotted black heat shields), SE Air and Pro street tuner. Only 120 miles later and the chrome pipe off the rear cylinder is COOKED already! I expect chrome to blue after some time but ???
Try ceramic coating them.
I had a V&H Pro pipe do that a week after the shop installed and Dyno tuned my bike. Happened years ago and I’m still pissed! ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts