Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine has a older bike and rode it out of state to visit family and doesn't have much fun on return trip.

Said his charging system started acting up and his battery went bad..So he bought a lawn mower battery and a cheap charger and strapped battery to passenger seat and would ride and charge..ride and charge....said he only had to do it three times on last 300-400 miles of trip???

I remember when my charging system quit on me outta town got a ride about 50 miles and got my truck.

But if it ever happens again.......:laugh

Any rode side hassle stories and how you dealt with them....:what?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Broke a clutch cable on the way to work at 4:30 am one day. Figured out pretty quick that you don't NEED the clutch. At a stop light, have the bike off and in gear-light turns green hit the starter, bike will jump ahead with the starter motor for a few feet until it starts. Ride normal, only rev the motor a bit during shifts...Harley's shift almost the same with or without the clutch.
Catch a red light just pop it into neutral, then shut the engine down after you stop. Put it in first and hit the starter when ready to go.

It worked just fine until I got outta work and could get a new clutch cable.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Had my shifter pop off on my SG one day. That was fun. Let me tell ya, it's hard to accelerate to highway speeds from a dead stop in 6th!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had my shifter splines strip 1200 miles from home. I discovered if I put it in an almost straight open position it would hold. So a lot of loctite and I had to lift my foot off the peg and do a weird angle to shift.
I also had the shaft that goes from the brake pedal to the master cylinder come off on the way to work. I bunnjied it up and rode to work that morning. At lunch I went out and fixed it a little better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
543 Posts
On my old 89 883 I busted a chain while out on a back road. Most recently I busted a throttle cable while my daughter and I were on our way to church, we left the bike in a driveway and went on to services. After church I took the wife and kids home, got a few more tools together then went back. I swapped the throttle and idle cable at the grip and carborator.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my old 89 883 I busted a chain while out on a back road. Most recently I busted a throttle cable while my daughter and I were on our way to church, we left the bike in a driveway and went on to services. After church I took the wife and kids home, got a few more tools together then went back. I swapped the throttle and idle cable at the grip and carborator.
Good one..I remember it now!!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.