Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is taking delivery of a new Softail Breakout, and I was wondering what the recommend break-in procedures are for these engines?

·
Registered
341 Posts
a racer mechanic posted this. the eng is broke-in in the first 20. miles
what you want to do is go to a lonely streach of hwy. warm the engine up
go from 20 mph to 60 mph rapidly., then let off-of the throttle and let the bike de-accrlerate back to 20 mph. (no brakeing) do this several times 10- 15. ride the bike normally before shutting it down.
what you are doing is thrusting the engine rings against the cylinder walls. thus seating them.

·
Registered
803 Posts
a racer mechanic posted this. the eng is broke-in in the first 20. miles
what you want to do is go to a lonely streach of hwy. warm the engine up
go from 20 mph to 60 mph rapidly., then let off-of the throttle and let the bike de-accrlerate back to 20 mph. (no brakeing) do this several times 10- 15. ride the bike normally before shutting it down.
what you are doing is thrusting the engine rings against the cylinder walls. thus seating them.
What gear would you do this in? If you are in First the bike will not go 60 mph and if you are in Fifth the bike will be lugging heavily at 20 mph.

Harley owners manual recommends not going above 3000 rpms for the first 50 miles and 3500 rpms to 500 miles.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Go for a long ride, say 100 miles. Keep speed at say 65mph. Run in 5th. for 5 miles or more then go to 6th. repeat, repeat. Worst thing you can do is lug engine. Worked fine for me.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
BREAK-IN PROCEDURE

1. Make a test run at 30 miles per hour and accelerate at full throttle to 50 miles per hour. Repeat the acceleration cycle from 30 to 50 miles per hour at least ten times. No further break-in is necessary. If traffic conditions will not permit this procedure, accelerate the engine rapidly several times through the intermediate gears during the check run. The object is to apply a load to the engine for short periods of time and in rapid succession soon after engine warm up. This action thrusts the piston rings against the cylinder wall with increased pressure and results in accelerated ring seating.

Following that,
Drive vehicle normally but avoid sustained high speed during the first 100 miles.
At no time should the engine be lugged. Lugging is said to exist when the engine does not respond when you twist the throttle.

Taken from Hastings piston ring website
Untitled Document

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
We use a semi-similar routine when test-riding a fresh engine,(3 this week, BTW) or if weather does not allow, we'll do the same up on the dyno.
We also set our cylinder wall finish with a 500 grit stone, then pleateau hone as well.
Rings seat VERY quickly.
Scott

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Keep it under 3500rpm for the first 500 miles. Run it a varied speeds for the 500 miles. Then you may let her rip.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
We use a semi-similar routine when test-riding a fresh engine,(3 this week, BTW) or if weather does not allow, we'll do the same up on the dyno.
We also set our cylinder wall finish with a 500 grit stone, then pleateau hone as well.
Rings seat VERY quickly.
Scott
Doing this at a professional level for 30 years now, this is a procedure that we use to INSURE that we have happy clients, with long-lasting power.:)
Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
And I say; Ride it normally for the first 50 miles, than start hammering it with periods of normal riding between hammerings.
Did it that way to my buddie's ride and he told me his motor just wants to run after that break-in. Tried the slow break-in method on a motor and it was a dog! Take your pick.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,239 Posts
When I was a teen, I was told by an old mechanic. "Break it in, exactly how you intend to drive (ride) it."

Has worked great for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts