Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I got my RKC few days ago. Unfortunately I didn't get yet the manual with it. Can some body please describe briefly for me the instructions within the manual for breaking in the engine?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
07s
first 50 miles, keep engine speed below 4000rpm dont lug or over rev
first 500 miles, vary engine speed, dont operate at steady engine speed for long periods of time up to 5000rpms is OK
drive slowly avoid fast starts at WOT until engine is warm
Avoid lugging
Avoid hard braking for first 200 miles
Change oil 1000miles

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I agree but I changed my oil at 500 with dino oil then at 1000 with synth. A little extra precaution. I'm sure it's not necessary but the oil was pretty dirty looking.

Lugging is the one thing that is hard not to do. It feels like your being more gentle with the motor by keeping the RPM's low but it actually stresses internal parts far more than a higher RPM would.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Temo are you talking a service manual or your owners manual. Hard to believe you didnt get the owners manual with a new 09.
And the OM has your break in cycle in it. It may be different everything else is on th 09's

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's hard to believe

But I didn't get it! Any way thanks for all your comments.

·
Registered
30 Posts
must be hard when riders relate to an RPM" when you have a bike without a tach. Ya think possibly the manual might say it in speed and gears to use? I would check with the dealer or someone who rides an 09 flhr unless your ears work better than mine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
07s
first 50 miles, keep engine speed below 4000rpm dont lug or over rev
first 500 miles, vary engine speed, dont operate at steady engine speed for long periods of time up to 5000rpms is OK
drive slowly avoid fast starts at WOT until engine is warm
Avoid lugging
Avoid hard braking for first 200 miles
Change oil 1000miles
Vlade,

I just recently bought an 09 RK Classic myself, has about 600 miles on it now. Rode it home on the freeway due to the idea that the weather conditions that day were working against me, but I did vary the speed, sometimes up to 50, then back to 40 and then 30 in some cases, had people lookin at me funny, but fortunately nobody gave me the finger or anything...lol...this was after a short ride through town, since then I've taken backroads only...so, when can I do some freeway ridin?...or should I hold off till 1k miles and a fluid change?

Thanks..

·
236 Posts
My owners manual does give mph shifting up and down. I too rode home on the Highway as I picked up my new bike 200 miles away. I had my wife following me so the going slow was not as bad. I did have one trucker give me the bird, but I'm a trucker too so I must admit my fault, but he was riding way to close to my family in the car so I kept him back for about 50 miles in the Road Construction that day. I've been keeping the mileage up to the 500 mile mark mostly on back roads with twisties so I can vary speed, gears, rpm, not to mention I'm having a blast getting use to the bike that way too. Ain't it a blast breaking in a new bike? :thumb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts