·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Contact the company for more info...

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I called. They did not know the Fat Boy was 1.25". No help.
They said that if the reduction was soon enough it would work.
Also the blinker on the handlebar might be in the way.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
All Harley grips fit 1" bars. If your bars are 1.25" they neck down where the switch housings clamp.

·
Mr. MojoRisen
1,241 Posts
I installed this same item on my friends 09 Fat Bob. I needed to machine the clamp some, but it works fine. I will try to get a picture to post.

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
At what point does it taper and will the breakaway fit?
I plan to put the Brakeaway on my 2013 Breakout, which has the 1.25" drag bars. I'd guess that your situation would be the same - the bars neck down to 1" just before the controls, and the Brakeaway installs on the other side of the controls & before the right grip, so the 6CP04 should be the correct one. However, on mine, Harley mounted the directionals under the mirror stalk, and it covers the brake pivot, so I had to fab new mounts for the lights - they're not pretty right now, but they're functional. I'm waiting for a quote from DCP to see if they'll beat Phat Cycle's $200 price.

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps the easiest thing is to use the star wheel.
I wont be using it that much.

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
Perhaps the easiest thing is to use the star wheel. I wont be using it that much.
That star lock is virtually worthless. Even with the levers people sell there's a bit of binding In the return spring. That's why I'm going with the Brakeaway.

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The wiring input to the grips is where the throttle lock tightens onto the grip.

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
The web site says brake away won't work with heated grips.. Why?
"*Will work with Harley Heated grips but cruise control needs to be installed first." (for 6CP04)

The manual for this model never mentions heated grips, so it looks like you're on your own in that option.

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
Phat Performance Parts has the Harley version (6CP04) for $190 with free shipping, and you can get an additional $10 off by using the promo code YEAR14. (Lists for $220)

·
Registered
5,155 Posts

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
I'm quite pleased with my "Cruise Mate". It replaces the star wheel with a larger thread, that only requires 1/4 turn from free to lock. Adjustable lever position while you ride, and fairly easy installation if you know how to drill a hole.
After watching their install video, I can't see where they're much better than sticking a lever on the star. They basically remove the friction pad and just drive a [bigger] screw against the throttle lever. Same problem in a panic situation - if you hit the brake, the engine is still cruising until you remember to release the lever, which isn't where your fingers will be in that situation. Also, unlike the star, which has the friction pad, if you turn the throttle with the Cruise Mate in the locked position, that screw might dig up the mating throttle grip surface. As usually the case, the more you pay, the more features you get - safety or otherwise.

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
Here's the BrakeAway throttle lock installed on my Breakout. The directionals had to be remounted because they covered the brake pivot pin location.

Attachments

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hate to ask this on a forum because the answer may be too long.
How did you move the blinkers? The dealer talks about a relocation kit, but that moves the blinkers to the aux lights.

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
How did you move the blinkers? The dealer talks about a relocation kit, but that moves the blinkers to the aux lights.
Yes, I looked around for a simple solution from Harley or any other source that would allow me to just move the lights to a mount on the bars close enough to avoid rewiring - and struck out, so I decided to make my own mounts using 1"x1" aluminum angle stock. Of course, Harley mounts the lights differently on each side, so on the right side I ended up with 1-1/4" length, and on the left side it was 2-1/4". You can see where I had extra holes to experiment. Also, on the left side there's a small post that requires an extra hole for registration. The light fixtures are threaded NCFine. Here are two closeups. I cut the rear of the vertical sections at a 45 degree angle to lessen the strain on the wiring as it wraps around back to the exit grommet in the bars. I wasn't trying for anything but functionality.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts