Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is going to hurt to go past the 1000 mile check up or will it mater if I take it in around 800 miles, trying to get the 1000 in before vacation but the dang rain is killing me. Going on Vacation and want to ride and not have it tied up in the shop while I am on vacation

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
My $.02, take it in before.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I always schedule a service ahead of time and don't worry about the exact mileage.

But, I change my own fluids and do most of the other interval stuff.

Since its the first one just take it in early.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rain wont hurt you or the bike. What better way to learn how that bike and tires perform in the rain.

Every single day I ride to work, even in a down pour I get a huge smile as I wake the neighbors up at 0515 every day of the week when the v twin rumbles to life.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
.........will it mater if I take it in around 800 miles..........
No. I would rather take it in early than to go over on the first service.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I schedules my first service when it had about 800 miles on it this spring. Till I got it in the bike had almost 1300 miles on it. The shop at my dealer is always busy. Have to schedule early. I thought I was good until they gave me 4 weeks out, and if I schedule in a few more weeks it would be 8 weeks as they wouldn't have time to get it in.

In any case the extra few hundred miles didn't hurt anything. It still runs fine, and the earth still rotates around the sun.

·
Registered
532 Posts
This won't help you much, but last year I had the same exact question. The guy at the dealership didn't help and was rude about it when I asked the question.
I ended up taking off work early one day and rode 2 hours out and 2 hours back. That got me to close to 1,000. I got a lot of opinions and probably most of them said go ahead and take it in early rather than late. Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I went early too at 850 and continued to break the bike in until I hit 2K and then changed the oil myself and again at 5000. Better early than late.

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
I changed all fluids at 500 and again at 1500 now every 2500 on the engine 5000 on the trans and primary. Ck an lube all the others as needed.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Early would probably be better than later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts