Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Breakout owners having any issues with the kickstand wanting to fold while its out and holding the bike up? Mine has almost fell twice because the kickstand wanted to fold back up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have not had my bike fall over but I have had it roll forward after I walked away from it before making my heart skip a beat. I have seen a buddy's bike fall over right in front of me but I think that his kickstand bounced back a little after he kicked it down. I have had to make it habit to make sure the stand is all the way down before leaning my bike over. I don't know why it moves though.

·
Registered
37,000 Posts

Have a look at your kickstand. If folded out all the way and when weight is put on the kickstand, there is a tab on the kickstand that fits into a slot in the frame/kickstand mount. When the kickstand is folded out all the way and weight put on the stand, it is impossible for the kickstand to fold up unless there is something wrong.

(Tab installed upside down in photo however)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all,

I have noticed that mine tends to slide forward on the stand a bit after I have kicked the stand all the way forward. It seems as though the stand should lock forward a bit more when it is down, to keep the proper lean angle. It is very disconserting. It makes me feel like I should park it on a slight hill with the front end on the up side, so it will have the help of gravity.

I am going to look at it closely when I put the bike up on my jackstand this weekend...just to see if I can see anything weird going on down there.

Take care,

JJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check to see if your spring and kickstand, mine is making marks on my frame. When its up, the spring rests against the frame. And... if you kick it up to hard it bangs against the fame. There was another guy at the dealer and his is doing the same thing.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
1. Harley kickstands have an anti fold up mechanism as Kainam pinted out.

2. Make it a habit to stop and shut down bike in gear, let out clutch, push bike forward as far as it will go against the first gear, and then extend jiffy stand all the way, thay way it will not tend to roll forward, period.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never had any problems with my other Harley's that I've had. This stand just seems cheap. Can't leave it in gear when it's running. Probably gonna remove the stock kickstand and put on a rear mounted stand.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I got out there and wiggled mine around today. I did see some movement forward but the stand caught pretty quickly and it didn't retract when I pushed it a little harder. It does have some play but not enough to make me concerned about it falling over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine also has that slight roll forward after it first takes weight and that scared the crap out of me the first few times. This past weekend I let a friend ride it and when he brought it back he parked it on a slight downhill. Sure enough, he flipped the stand down and as he got off the bike it started folding up. We both grabbed the bike before it hit, but it was definitely going down. I'm pretty sure he didn't have the stand all the way down. I always put the stand down and roll the bike forward to make sure it's engaged before I dismount...it's a nonissue for me now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very nice! I was thinking about removing the tank medallions too, but wasn't sure if the graphics ran behind them. You've got it looking smooth Nubbz!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any Breakout owners having any issues with the kickstand wanting to fold while its out and holding the bike up? Mine has almost fell twice because the kickstand wanted to fold [/color]
Read this yesterday and dismissed as a fluke - happened to me today with my week-old Breakout in first gear and rolled forward FIRST. Don't know what or how the hell it happened - luckily I was standing right next to the bike when it rolled OFF the kickstand.

Has never happened to me before on my old FatBoy. Very disconcerting - will be having it looked at...:mad

1 - 20 of 46 Posts