Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&S steel breather gear for my 1998 Softail and I'm not sure how or what you measure to determine which washer to use, would someone please let me know how you determine which washer is the correct thickness?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Riding With Respect
225 Posts
Same process as checking end clearance on the cam. Specs are in the service manual. If you don't have a manual, buy or borrow one.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Is the sombrero-clad guy in the
middle, getting shot, and pee'd on also..........
OK...I really don't know how to read this.? I would know exactly what you are asking if you had left the one word off the end: " also " .

Anywho.......yes "he" is getting shot and peed on .

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
I have a S&S steel breather gear for my 1998 Softail and I'm not sure how or what you measure to determine which washer to use, would someone please let me know how you determine which washer is the correct thickness?

Thanks,
Jim
put a gasket on the dowls,with the breather in,use a straight edge across the gasket surface & check your clearance to the gear.shoot for around .010" clearance.if you need a washer,PM me.ive got about 10 pounds (1000`s) of them

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
Also use that straight edge to verify the timing marks are aligned perfectly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Prodrag and Schmidtys, I found the short paragrah in the service manual last night about the straight edge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts