Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than making them in China, what do you think it would take to bring down the cost of H-D pipes? All the good ones are so friggin' expensive!!! :faint

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Considering most of their leather jackets are made in Pakistan and drop-shipped to dealers and average $400 and up...... I'd say you may see pipe prices drop, right after those prices drop as well.

$500-800+ for exhaust is acceptable for a machine that costs $18K+, IMHO. You'll pay more for Reinhardt or BUB, but they're all in about the same, general price range.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Considering their leather jackets are made in Pakistan and drop-shipped to dealers and average $400 and up...... I'd say right after their prices drop as well.
Dosen't that p!ss you off. You can't buy American when you try.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,194 Posts
...You can't buy American when you try
Sure you can, Fox Creek Leather. But then, you were grumbling about prices...

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Dosen't that p!ss you off. You can't buy American when you try.
MANY things piss me off Scol.... that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Thank god for beer. That's one thing that I could care less who or where it's made......

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,194 Posts
Sorry, the topic of the thread..

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
No prob

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I heard or read someplace the my trany on the sporty is made in Japan true or false?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Taiwan.... The gears at least. Not just the sporty, but most models.

Forks and shocks: Showa of Japan.

Aluminum rims are cast in Japan, or at least were on my 1995 model. It's printed INSIDE the rim and can't be seen with the tire on.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
See one more thing to p!ss an old guy off. They bill themselves as American made. don't get me wrong I still like Harley but who is being disloyal here the manufacturers or the consumer who is tiered of being lied to, and paying high prices for stuff made out of the country?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
See one more thing to p!ss an old guy off. They bill themselves as American made. don't get me wrong I still like Harley but who is being disloyal here the manufacturers or the consumer who is tiered of being lied to, and paying high prices for stuff made out of the country?
Vagaries and legalease, you can buy your parts any where but if you put em together here, it's Made in USA.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Vagaries and legalease, you can buy your parts any where but if you put em together here, it's Made in USA.
Agreed, but it's deceiving. It's a sales tactic, as far as I'm concerned.....

1.) I owned a 1999 Honda Aero, and on the rear seat, was written, "Made in USA".

It was ASSEMBLED in the USA. Multiple parts were labled with "Made in Japan" on them. It can't be "MADE" in two places.................

2.) My 1986 VW Jetta.....made by VW of USA....parts made mostly from Mexico and Brazil, some from Germany, then assembled in the USA, yet it's sold as a "German car".

3.) If I knock my wife up on vacation in France, after eating Italian bread, and washing it down with German beer.....but the kid's born in the USA.......

How's that work? :eek7 :D

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Agreed, but it's deceiving. It's a sales tactic, as far as I'm concerned.....

1.) I owned a 1999 Honda Aero, and on the rear seat, was written, "Made in USA".

2.) It was ASSEMBLED in the USA. Multiple parts were labled with "Made in Japan" on them. It can't be "MADE" in two places.................

3.) My 1986 VW Jetta.....made by VW of USA....parts made mostly from Mexico and Brazil, some from Germany, then assembled in the USA, yet it's sold as a "German car".

If I knock my wife up on vacation in France, after eating Italian bread, and washing it down with German beer.....but the kid's born in the USA.......

How's that work? :eek7
Ahhhh son we need to talk.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
:confused:you right I forgot assembled word.

Id guess because the grain for the beer and bread came from the USA?????:coockoo

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Excuse me, but my parts were all made over here.:nod

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,194 Posts
More parts of a Honda cruiser are US made than some Harleys.

So guys what's your preferrence,

Harley sources all parts from the USA and is out of business by 1995,

OR...

Harley does the best they can for their stockholders, which is their lawful obligation,
and looks to their bottom line, and is a thriving concern thru the present downturn.

I know it's complicated....

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
So if Honda can make a profit by having parts made over here, why can't Harley and other manufacturers make a profit by having all of the components made in America, this is were I'm having a problem. Why is there such a need to outsource so much of our industry if foreign manufacturers can make money by hiring our workers? To me it just dosen't add up.:confused:

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
So if Honda can make a profit by having parts made over here, why can't Harley and other manufacturers make a profit by having all of the components made in America, this is were I'm having a problem. Why is there such a need to outsource so much of our industry if foreign manufacturers can make money by hiring our workers? To me it just dosen't add up.:confused:

I dunno..........?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts