Harley Davidson Forums banner

Bring down the cost of H-D pipes?

4K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  sirbOOm 
#1 ·
Other than making them in China, what do you think it would take to bring down the cost of H-D pipes? All the good ones are so friggin' expensive!!! :faint

#2 ·
Considering most of their leather jackets are made in Pakistan and drop-shipped to dealers and average $400 and up...... I'd say you may see pipe prices drop, right after those prices drop as well.

$500-800+ for exhaust is acceptable for a machine that costs $18K+, IMHO. You'll pay more for Reinhardt or BUB, but they're all in about the same, general price range.

#3 ·
Considering their leather jackets are made in Pakistan and drop-shipped to dealers and average $400 and up...... I'd say right after their prices drop as well.
Dosen't that p!ss you off. You can't buy American when you try.

#6 ·
I was?

#8 ·
No prob

#9 ·
I heard or read someplace the my trany on the sporty is made in Japan true or false?

#10 ·
Taiwan.... The gears at least. Not just the sporty, but most models.

Forks and shocks: Showa of Japan.

Aluminum rims are cast in Japan, or at least were on my 1995 model. It's printed INSIDE the rim and can't be seen with the tire on.

#11 ·
See one more thing to p!ss an old guy off. They bill themselves as American made. don't get me wrong I still like Harley but who is being disloyal here the manufacturers or the consumer who is tiered of being lied to, and paying high prices for stuff made out of the country?

#17 ·
#18 ·
More parts of a Honda cruiser are US made than some Harleys.

So guys what's your preferrence,

Harley sources all parts from the USA and is out of business by 1995,

OR...

Harley does the best they can for their stockholders, which is their lawful obligation,
and looks to their bottom line, and is a thriving concern thru the present downturn.

I know it's complicated....

#19 ·
So if Honda can make a profit by having parts made over here, why can't Harley and other manufacturers make a profit by having all of the components made in America, this is were I'm having a problem. Why is there such a need to outsource so much of our industry if foreign manufacturers can make money by hiring our workers? To me it just dosen't add up.:confused:

#20 ·
I dunno..........?

#21 ·
From what Nathang said Honda is making parts over here. It's the same with toyota 75% of my Camry was made over here, nothing seems to fit. If they can do it why can't we?

#22 ·
I dunno...........

#23 ·
Me too.

#27 ·
I'm very hesitant to suggest this is the reason..... unions?

I know I read at one time Harley was saved from bankruptcy by outsourcing things,
as I understood it was things that couldn't be built under their union contracts and still be competitive priced.

#28 ·
I'm very hesitant to suggest this is the reason..... unions?
You can't NOT include that as a reason.

My neighbor is a Union Electrician. His last job was contracted by a company in Jersey. They Sub-contracted to his company, and he was getting $48.30 an hour to work. He's not top rate, either.

That's a SUB-CONTRACTED RATE, people.....!!

That's insane..........

#29 ·
Seeing how China has all the money now and we owe em big time out the bugger.
We are gonna be stuck with GREEN fuel cap and trade and they are gonna burn coal out the wazzoo.
We probably gonna end up peddlin bicycles to the Peoples muffler shop making product to be shipped over and "assembled" on Hansuu Davidyangs.
The we can laugh and eat rice when they bitch about the high cost of chrome.

#30 ·
unions ?? look at G.M. and what those people get to bolt stuff together. here our beer 24 bottles cost about 38.00 bucks unionized beer stores.Go for a 15 minute drive non union corner store in Quebec,same beer 25.00 bucks :mad:

#33 ·
Assembled in the USA still puts Americans to work...in theory.

In reality, it's probably a bunch of illegal immigrants assembling them, spending very little money here, and sending most of it back to Mexico...but that's a whole other issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.