Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reporting an odd part failure: clutch release arm. Went for a ride yesterday and at stop light lost clutch action. Bike was towed to dealer they confirmed this morning the broken part which they don't have in stock. Bike is about 6 months old and 1800 miles. Not something I would ever expect to fail on a new stock bike but this is my first Harley. Very disappointing to say the least.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Are you referring to the actuator, inside the left side trans cover?

If it broke after 1800 miles, it's either defective or something else is wrong.

It has two halves, with "cups" and 3 balls. As the halves are moved, the balls ride inside "rapms" and the two halves move apart. The separation pushes the pushrod, which adds pressure to the clutch diaphram, causing the clutch plates and steel plates to separate, giving you a neutral, disconnected drivetrain.

Never saw one break.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Part number 18

Attachments

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It's fairly thin out on the end where that retaining "collar" slips on. (I don't know what to call it really. The little doohickie that cable ball end drops into to lock it on the ramp itself) It could break there I guess. Or the collar could fail I suppose.

But, there really is not a great deal of stress on it. It was probably a bad part.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
That wouldn't require parts replacement....
Plus I couldn't imagine it actually coming out without breaking unless it was never put in correctly. It's a fairly stiff piece of steel and the groove is deep.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
How the hell does it cross it's legs?
So I tee you up with "stiff piece of steel" and "the groove is deep" in the same post and you go with the three balls gag?

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
So I tee you up with "stiff piece of steel" and "the groove is deep" in the same post and you go with the three balls gag?

Hahahaha, don't beg.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Reporting an odd part failure: clutch release arm. Went for a ride yesterday and at stop light lost clutch action. Bike was towed to dealer they confirmed this morning the broken part which they don't have in stock. Bike is about 6 months old and 1800 miles. Not something I would ever expect to fail on a new stock bike but this is my first Harley. Very disappointing to say the least.
Not in stock because its rare that its ever needed to be replaced .

Its just your luck I guess. :eek

:coffee:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input. I haven't seen the pieces but the tech who called me said it was "where the cable attaches to the arm". The clutch was dealer adjusted at 500 miles and worked smoothly until I grabbed a handful and it just let go. I know they had to order it because these probably seldom break but mine did. I posted in case folks want to check theirs. Not whining about it but hey, my first harley after 40 years of beemers and metrics and too many years of hearing anti-HD talk.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Not whining about it but hey, my first harley after 40 years of beemers and metrics and too many years of hearing anti-HD talk.
Didn't think you were whining. You have a legitimate gripe. I've been fixing these things for over 35 years and never saw one break. But let's not exclude BMWs and metrics from failures and warrant issues as well. Shit happens. Sadly.....I have that assembly in my garage.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree I've had sometimes unusual repairs on ALL of the others too. I have to say the dealer has been excellent since day 1. Until I learn more about the harley, it's a good safety net since I live in the boondocks. Thanks again for all the input for a newbie like me it's priceless.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here's a 2 cents post.
Never had this happen before either, but had to warm up the chase vehicle couple of weekends ago and get my son's 08 Dyna. Called me and said he lost his clutch. Figured a broken cable, but it was the retaining clip groove. Damn thing split, needs a new side cover. Waiting for the part to come on the brown truck. Sucks. No riding for him this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
A Dyna rider came into our local dealer other day. With only 2 bolts holding his trans side cover on. Tony the Man parts guru scrounged up some bolts laying around in shop area so he could limp it home. He came in today pick up the rest of new ones. Any one hear of this ?

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
A Dyna rider came into our local dealer other day. With only 2 bolts holding his trans side cover on. Tony the Man parts guru scrounged up some bolts laying around in shop area so he could limp it home. He came in today pick up the rest of new ones. Any one hear of this ?

Yeah, it's called not tightening your sh¡t. :rollin

·
Registered
7,340 Posts

If you take anything loose and don't put thread thread lock on it, it'll be loose or on the road somewhere.

·
Banned
71 Posts
A man has got to learn to handle his **** . :biker:

:coffee:

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
I will pass all this valuable sh** on ASAP :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts