Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Batwing fairing mounts break. The metal is thin, and over the years, vibration will eventually cause them to fracture and snap. I was also amazed that the lateral pressure the braces are under.

I found one broken during installing fairing mirrors.

(Right side upper mount tab):

So.....there are kits out there to repair these. However, I needed a fix NOW, since the bike was apart, and I'm a CAPP.

OEM metal is 1.65mm thick, including powder coating. I used 2.25mm thick, mild steel.

Cut and shape metal to desired size. Leave about 2.25" of metal after the 90* bend, to attach to existing brace.

Drill hole for mounting bolt to fairing.

Drill 2 holes for mounting to existing brace.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Put a towel under where drilling is gonna happen to catch metal bits. Then, clamp a vicegrip onto the braces to keep them together and steady.

Drill the holes to match your mounting hardware. Polylock nuts or serated nuts are preferred, to prevent coming loose again.

After the holes are drilled, use a small magnet and clean up any metal chips from drilling.

Bolt on your mount. I used serated nuts with red locktite. Bracket was removed and painted before buttoning up the fairing.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Nice fix....my 04 broke in the same spot...was getting a lot of extra shaking when sitting still...thats a sign it is broke.... also the little mount that went up to the speaker was broke too...

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice fix....my 04 broke in the same spot...was getting a lot of extra shaking when sitting still...thats a sign it is broke.... also the little mount that went up to the speaker was broke too...
This is a common problem with these fairings..... Funny part is, they all break once the bike is out of warranty.

·
Registered
867 Posts
P.m. ??

Hi Dave , I for one really appreciate all you do ! Thanks ! Dave , Do you think I should on my 2008 Ultra go ahead an fab new structure or piggy back the still sound factory brackets for longivity as I have 17,000 miles on the clock now . Thank you Dave . Bud

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm under the impression, Bud, some of these kits that are sold as "repair" can be mounted at any time, to PREVENT the stock brackts from breaking......

I'm eventually going to make another mount and replace it (Piggyback it) regardless. It seems it's not a matter of IF, rather WHEN.

Pre-2009 Bikes are effected. This guy's kits include speaker supports as well.

·
Retired citizen
22,893 Posts
Nice clean , easy , inexpensive fix and it can't be seen when the fairing is back on .

·
Banned
71 Posts
Metal fatigue is the problem, even the add on fix will break over time. Weilding a bead in the inside corner of each bend will cure the problem once and for all.:know

·
Retired citizen
22,893 Posts
If you go welding on the bike with the electrical system hooked up you're looking for trouble !!! Just saying.

·
1,074 Posts
This is a common problem with these fairings..... Funny part is, they all break once the bike is out of warranty.
I was lucky, mine was still within the 7 yr warranty when it broke:thumbsup. Replacement brackets are supposed to be thicker to prevent future breaking...we shall see.:fitz

·
Banned
0 Posts
I bought this kit, (the youtube Dave linked) and it went on just as easily as shown. They've refined the design, but installing is the same. High quality. Worth the price if you can wait for the shipping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts