Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a broken spoke while washing my 2007 Heritage Softail yesterday on my rear wheel. Question is~~~should I go ahead and have the whole wheel relaced or is it alright to just replace the broken one?

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Replace the broken one and while they're at it, inspect and replace as required. Re-balance.

Don't forget the inspect under the rim strip too ! It's a rust trap !.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply Craiger. Trying to go easy on my funds for Outerbanks bike Week, but need a safe ride there & back.

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
Looks like good weather forcast for Bike Week :thumbsup

·
Retired citizen
23,190 Posts
One broken spoke isn't that much of a concern. Check the rest of the spokes and if they need more than a turn to re-tighten it's time for a re-spoke job or a different wheel if you can find one cheap.

·
Hawg Man
6 Posts
It's about $400+ to re-spoke the wheel. A friend of mine has had to do it twice to his rear wheel on his 05 heritage. He finally said after just breaking it last week that he's tired of having to re-spoke the wheel when he knows it will happen again. Very dangerous. He then just bought a solid chrome fatboy wheel for the rear. Also said spokes are a pain to maintain due to rust etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I took the rear wheel off and took it to have the spoke replaced. They discovered I had two spokes that were broken and suggested relaceing at next tire change (Chrome spokes). Anyways, I made the Outer Banks Bike Week and the wheel held up fine. OBX was a blast.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to let everyone know, while washing my bike the other weekend I discovered another broken spoke. The hub holes were elongated. Harley wanted $563.00 for new wheel, found one with less than 1000 mile on it. Had Harley replace bearings & new tire (this is rear wheel by the way) also had them check the front wheel tuning, they discovered the bearings were bad there as well, removed & replaced front bearings, also had the fallback check done and the head bearing needed torqued. Bike rides like it did off the show room floor now. Considering I got 70,000 miles on this bike and its an 2007 I figure I got good life out of the bearings. As far as the spokes, will pay closer attention to tightness in the future to prevent the hub from wearing. Just thought I'd give you guys a follow-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts