Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Installing my bag guard rails yesterday I noticed that left support bracket is broken. After some research on the part (90718-79B SUPPORT BRACKET, LEFT) it appears to be a very common problem. I started looking on ebay for a replacement before going the new route from the dealer and also noticed that there is a guy that makes a cheap fix with stainless that bolts to the broken stock one

There's also some aftermarket ones for $50 each side that are supposedly 15% thicker steel Drag Specialties Saddlebag Rail Support Brackets - DS-SADDLEBAG-RAIL-BRACKETS - Phat Performance Parts

Anyone here have a similar problem, if so, what were your solutions?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I was breaking mine with quite regularity, both sides until I came across the E-Bay stainless repair things. They did not fit real well but I managed to install them and have not had a problem since.

Reactions: mcnphotog

·
Registered
671 Posts
Mine broke in the same location about a month and a half ago. Took it off and down to a welder friend of mine, she's been on since and I've had no problems and I don't baby the bike. You should be able to get it welded for about 10-15 bucks.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geez, almost to the day. I noticed that I had another broken again last night. I wound up buying a new one from Harley last year and replaced it. Noticed the same one broke last night. Just ordered the Drag Specialties one from ebay. I'll have two broken ones now, will take them to a muffler shop and see if they can be welded.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with one that fits inside the rear fender and gets rid of the back bumper.
Before and after
Your support bracket seems to be unbroken but what did brake was a bumper bracket (?). That part on mine bolts inside the fender too and attaches to the support brackets.

·
Banned
0 Posts
oh yeah. tiny little pictures on my phone.

same function, different bike. with that piece broken, the bag was clanging over bumps.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Geez, almost to the day. I noticed that I had another broken again last night. I wound up buying a new one from Harley last year and replaced it. Noticed the same one broke last night. Just ordered the Drag Specialties one from ebay. I'll have two broken ones now, will take them to a muffler shop and see if they can be welded.
After having mine broken a couple of times I got smart and had them welded. No problem since and it has been a couple of years now.
The two bag brackets and the cross over one inside the fender broke on me at various times. Never found the real reason but welding at the stress points fixed the issue.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While waiting for the new one to arrive I took one of the old broken ones to the local muffler shop to have it welded. The weld looks good but I don't think they put it on exactly straight. I suspect it won't line up properly if at all and will likely break if/when tightened. It was worth a shot though. I'll have one more when I take the current one off that I may epoxy with JB Weld first to insure its in place and then take it somewhere else for welding.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Drag Specialties bracket arrived today and as advertised the steel is thicker. Its not bad looking and all the holes line up though it's not quite as squared as the HD one. The tab at the bottom which always breaks has an indent in the crease also which may give it some stability. The clip nut I had though had difficulty fitting into the slot because of the thicker steel but that is really a not issue since once its bolted the clips don't really serve a purpose. I'll put it on this week and see how I like it and will probably get the other welded, correctly as a backup.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After seeing the above pics it can be said that the steel is thicker. @mcnphotog you can visit http://www.atlanticprecision.com for welding purpose, This site was suggested by my friend and according to him the welding work can be done properly over here.
Thanks Alfred. I actually had the other one welded already and keep it as a backup. I built a jig to hold it properly in place until they welded one side and then removed it to get at the inside. The new one from Drag Specialties though appears to be working fine and as of yet no issues.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Thanks Alfred. I actually had the other one welded already and keep it as a backup. I built a jig to hold it properly in place until they welded one side and then removed it to get at the inside. The new one from Drag Specialties though appears to be working fine and as of yet no issues.
I was installing my new fender rails on my road king last weekend when I noticed that my back bracket had broken also. Thanks for the heads up on the Drag Specialties replacement bracket. With the pictures that you've shown it looks like that's the route that I will take for the thicker steel and that stamped in gusset on the bend. I know that sometimes welding steel can also make it brittle causing it to possibly break again right next to where the weld was so I like the idea of the thicker steel bracket. Thanks for your input mcnphotog!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was installing my new fender rails on my road king last weekend when I noticed that my back bracket had broken also. Thanks for the heads up on the Drag Specialties replacement bracket. With the pictures that you've shown it looks like that's the route that I will take for the thicker steel and that stamped in gusset on the bend. I know that sometimes welding steel can also make it brittle causing it to possibly break again right next to where the weld was so I like the idea of the thicker steel bracket. Thanks for your input mcnphotog!
Check ebay. When I bought mine I did it rather quickly and then later noticed another selling both the left and right for only $5 more.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't freakin believe it broke again, same side. This was the Drag Specialties one that was supposed to be thicker. Dam!!! At least I have the last one I ad repaired/welded to put on. This is just crazy.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I can't freakin believe it broke again, same side. This was the Drag Specialties one that was supposed to be thicker. Dam!!! At least I have the last one I ad repaired/welded to put on. This is just crazy.
Well that sucks....... guess I'd better check my Drag Specialties bracket.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the same trouble with my 2002 Road King. Make sure the rear fender bumper isn't bent out of shape. You shouldn't have to force bolts through the holes. Mine was and I just bent it back into shape and got those stainless brackets the guy on ebay sells. Use some blue locktite on the bolt when you install them. They were on the bike a few years with no problems when I sold it. It is a good repair for the money. I think they were $28 when I got them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts