Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, well I went & installed my battery after it was on the tender charging after a month of the bike not being touched cause of my small crash in which I bent my forks. Anyway I install the battery & take care to put black tape on ground terminal (I had wire touching & battery started cooking before) so I carefully did that & then I connect my +. I go to crank her on & she sounds like she wants to start but nothing & all of a sudden I see a wisp of smoke from the battery terminal so I power off the key & take + cable off but once I touch it the screw is uber hot... I checked main 30 fuse & she's good so I'm assuming it's a short somewhere I guess or is it time for a new battery? Any suggestions or info is greatly appreciated.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Very specific install procedure for them sporty batteries...

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
which is?

Clearly defined in the service manual...

Basically...

The Sportster negative cable has to be tightened to the battery terminal before sliding the battery back in place.

The procedure is to remove the cable from the trans case and pull it out with the battery, tighten it, thread the cable back down to the trans while pushing the battery back in place and re-attach to the trans case.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
(said in a bad 50"s stereo type mexican villain voice )

manuals we dont need no stinkin manuals

·
Registered
186 Posts
Roe... What you probably have is a loose connection, and considering the specific nature of the way they want the batteries installed, I'd guess that it's your negative terminal.

Heating up like that is usually very indicative of either a loose connection or something a little more serious like a short, but with a short you would probably be blowing fuses, hearing something arc and spark, and lots of other not so good indicators...

good luck

Exco

·
Banned
85 Posts
Dude...thats way to much trouble....I think I have changed 7 or 8 sportster batteries since 1972.....I NEVER disconnect the wires except at the batt.. . they are tight ,,but have enough slack to slide the batt out and do the wires from there.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Dude...thats way to much trouble....I think I have changed 7 or 8 sportster batteries since 1972.....I NEVER disconnect the wires except at the batt.. . they are tight ,,but have enough slack to slide the batt out and do the wires from there.

Just stating the moco procedure... Not the gospel! Just sayin

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
'04 and newer Sportys have a specific procedure removing and installing batteries. If not followed the negative cable will loosen at the terminal when pushing the battery back into the battery box.

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
All Harley's need # 2 gauge cables anyway , so while your in there............!
Put some Taylor 2 ga battery cables on my bike over the winter.

Big difference!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts