Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for those who are more familiar with such events, Is it a common practise to charge for a tour of the factory? I went on a group ride to East troy, where the factory is, for the homecoming tour, and socializing.(The folks from Hal's always do an excellent job of rides,) and after going thru the sign-in line i was asked for $35.00 I said i'm only here for the tour, just going to walk around your building for an hour or so, why so much for that? They said, $35.00 please. I declined, (the ride home was fast, and fun too. ) So, I'm curious about why they charge for such things, as most businesses on an anniversary, will give tours for free.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I'm not familiar with such events but would note I've never heard of a $charge to tour a H-D/Buell factory. Have read many reports of tours but never is a charge mentioned. I'm trying to think of a factory tour of any industry where I've been charged. At Coors nearby, one even gets to sample free beer at the conclusion of the tour! Perhaps the $35 was there to cover some food and such.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told by a rider on another site that the $35. was for the events for 3 days, Elkhart lake raceway, and some other events as well, and there was a lunch provided, but i only wanted to do the tour, so that was a wee bit pricey for a visit. One would think that there would be separate fees if any, for the different events. And yep, I've been to many a tour and never was I asked to pay for it. odd, but not so surprising. At least I got to see the new Buell 1125, (they had pictures)

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
That's right... there was a combined CCS/ASRA/STT event at Road America last weekend. Buell offers a phenomenal contingency program for roadracers - sounds like they were using that as an opportunity to cross-promote.

Interesting that they wouldn't allow folks to "just" do the tour.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I dont know what they were thinkin', The Wisconsin hog rally is next month, they are asking $35 for all 3 days of festivities, dont know if that includes any tours as yet... I begin to feel that money is the motivation. Wasnt that way in the old days,,,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts