Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· weird member
2022 El Diablo, 1997 FXSTC
4,557 Posts
I don't have buffeting with my windshield, and it's a sportshield. Memphis Shades Del Rey (or Del Rio, whichever one is the taller one). The top of the windshield is even with the top of my lip. The windshield angle is a little adjustable, but I have the shield parallel with the forks. I added a cheap clip-on extension from Amazon which is in it's lowest and most vertical position, the top of which is even with the tip of my nose. Also on the bike are Memphis Shades custom lowers.

At the time when I was messing with this setup, I had a Maywood 3/4 helmet. I kept adjusting angles and mounting positions until I had the least buffeting, but still had buffeting over about 50-60 mph.

Then I got a new helmet, HJC i90 helmet and all my buffeting was gone. I think a lot of people probably don't put enough stock into how much the helmet choice affects buffeting.

So, I don't think bigger or more windshield is necessarily the answer to buffeting. Plenty of naked and sport bikes have the tiniest of windshields without buffeting. Of course, the rider is often much closer to the windshield on those.

You'll never stop air from trying to rush in behind the windshield without a vent. The trick is to get the turbulent air to not hit your helmet and just have clean air hit it, and to have the right helmet and helmet fit. A lot of people wear a helmet that is one size too large for them. If it's a full or 3/4 helmet, it should be squeezing your cheeks a little, but not so tight it's causing headaches or pressure spots. You also need to make sure you got the right shape, most people are intermediate oval but some are more round and some are elongated. And different brands will have slightly different fitments in the same shape and relative size.

But a good aerodynamic helmet aside, it just takes a lot of trial-and-error and adjusting the mounting of the windshield (if it's adjustable).

For reference, this is my setup. I played around with where the lowers were mounted (swapped mounting arms left and right to put them higher to overlap the windshield and back how they're supposed to be, angled more forward or back, etc), played around with the angle of the windshield, how high and low it was mounted on the forks, played around with the angle of the extension, etc. Of course, we're talking maybe 1 to 1.5" of movement in any direction at most, but just a small change can have a big effect.

I also used to have a bar bag mounted behind the windshield (which can be seen in this picture). I took that bar bag off earlier this year and although I didn't have buffeting with it there, the air control improved when I took it out.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 1 of 1 Posts