Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has a new(to him) 2009 heritage with a reckless fairing on it (not sure which model). He's an average size guy and tells me that his bike suffers from buffeting issues, unless he takes the short(about 5 inch) windscreen off, or his wife goes for a ride, in which case it smooths right out. He also bought a taller (7inch) screen, and that made the problem worse. Anyone have any ideas that I can pass along? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a friend that has a new(to him) 2009 heritage with a reckless fairing on it (not sure which model). He's an average size guy and tells me that his bike suffers from buffeting issues, unless he takes the short(about 5 inch) windscreen off, or his wife goes for a ride, in which case it smooths right out. He also bought a taller (7inch) screen, and that made the problem worse. Anyone have any ideas that I can pass along? Thanks in advance.
Install lowers. Most buffeting comes from under the tank and lowers decreases the air flow down there.

·
Registered
356 Posts
sounds to me like the shields are just too SHORT.

the general rule is ... sit on your bike ... and then the top of the shield should be roughly at the level of the tip of your nose, or just an inch or two higher. that will deflect the air right over the top of your helmet when you're riding.

if the shield is shorter than that - then the airstream is getting deflected somewhere on your head or body. it just depends on the airflow ... and how it works out will give you different amounts of disturbance with what is going on.

dT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts