Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't search it ..know I've read post(s) about it. But I rode through a section of road.. lined with trees in river bottoms as sun was going down and DAAMMMNNNN the bugs!!
I've went through a swarm before but DAAMMNNN the bugs. Only thing I'm using to remove them is a bottle 1/4 full of bug slide and couple cans of Harley cleaner/polisher

In engine cooling fins, hwy bars,pegs. wheels....even saddle bags..LOL

Just bi#chin...I know guys that detail cars and they have cleaning concoctions for cars and trucks might be harsh on bikes???

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,480 Posts
When the "love-bugs" are swarming down here, Bug Slide seems to work better than any of the other commercial products. In the cooling fins, soapy water and a good brush is about all I've got that works.

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
Try some S100 bike wash. Never used it against love bugs, there not out here, mostly bee's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
we get em bad here in Idaho now and then like ridding thru hail storm - tried everything now I just pull into a self car wash pressure spray everything park in shade dry with soft rag then some light wax keeps the next round from sticking so bad. otherwise you can spend 2 weeks with pocket knife digging bugs from nookes/crannies.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Nothing beats getting caught in a major down pour for at least 50-100 miles. I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, but this year I've been cleaning those things off my bike and noticing there seems to be more of it than usual. But I usually get nailed pretty good in the rain, not so much this year.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Nothing beats getting caught in a major down pour for at least 50-100 miles. I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, but this year I've been cleaning those things off my bike and noticing there seems to be more of it than usual. But I usually get nailed pretty good in the rain, not so much this year.
Yeah.....nothing beats that.....except NOT being caught in and own poor for 50-100 miles.

Granted....no bugs. But I prefer to wash my underwear the old-fashioned way......in machine.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
With me not wearing it....

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
I’ve used dawn dish soap, car soap and the like, but have had the most success with Harley-Davidson’s brand Bug Remover. It’s specifically formulated with enzymes that disintegrate and melt the bugs. It's water activated, really works and IMHO, worth the $9.00.

P.S. Just found this You Tube Ad:

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
I use S100 frequently for quich washes with minimal elbow grease. I have found it doesn't seem to get the bugs very well unless done within a few days of getting blasted. Have used few different bug removal spray n haven't been impressed. We get tons of bugs day and night in the ADK Mountains. Lots of elbow grease n hot water with generous amount of Dawn seems to b the best method I have found. Will have to try the HD stuff. Sounds a bit pricey, but if works n saves me from scrubbing(reaching, bending n such kill my destroyed back) like a mad man it is worth it for the times I let it go too long n they are giving me trouble bout coming off, I will use it...

·
Just Ride
3,261 Posts
Peroxide. Spray it on, watch it bubble, hose it off. Sometimes a little elbow grease.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,480 Posts
Just be careful about letting bugs hang around on your paint for too long.....especially love bugs for those of you down my way. Some have very acidic crap in them that will eat paint right off the bike. We do have a lot of those bug washes coming out of the sky, but I try to always do a thorough washing after a heavy bug encounter.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
After my ride from Bozeman this spring, I just took the Fat Boy to the dealer and they took off all the bugs. ;-)

Usually, I use something that soaks them good. I found that the spray window cleaner from Costco does a fair job. It sticks well and doesn't run right away, so it has a chance to soak in and loosen the bugs.

The Harley bug wash is good, too. And, Windex.

I'm gonna try the peroxide. Sounds like a good, non-corrosive solution.

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
After my ride from Bozeman this spring, I just took the Fat Boy to the dealer and they took off all the bugs. ;-)

Usually, I use something that soaks them good. I found that the spray window cleaner from Costco does a fair job. It sticks well and doesn't run right away, so it has a chance to soak in and loosen the bugs.

The Harley bug wash is good, too. And, Windex.

I'm gonna try the peroxide. Sounds like a good, non-corrosive solution.
Use Sprayway in place of Windex. Sprayway in kinder to paint finish and it will not etch the windshield. Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart carries it.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Peroxide. Spray it on, watch it bubble, hose it off. Sometimes a little elbow grease.
^^^This. Been doing it for years. Spray bottle, 1/2 hydrogen peroxide, half distilled water, two drops of Dawn. Shake, spray, rinse, sometimes some elbow grease as the man said.

Ronnie

·
Registered
717 Posts
Soaking wet soapy towel placed over windshield and fairing. Clean other areas of bike. For 10 minutes, remove towel wipe off bugs with wet rag. Oh and don't forget the beer.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
With the removable windshield I had on my Dyna, I used to lay it face down on the lawn and have a beer. Come back, and there would be enough condensation on it to have loosened up the bugs. Then I hit it with the hose and it was clean. I dried and polished as needed and done.
With the Glide, I wet a towel and lay it across the windshield and let it sit there for a half hour. By then all the bugs are softened up and wipe off easy. Polish and done.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I carry a wet soft shammy type cloth in a plastic zip bag (I keep it wet with water bottle) - every stop I wipe bugs come off easy since they don't have time to dry hard - then I spray on that plasti polish just a squirt - polish with another dry soft cloth keeps windscreen mirror clean adds a thin coat of oil that keeps next round of bugs from sticking hard. I will usually do 3 or 4 bikes when we stop gets me free beer later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts