Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of reading on builds people have done and now have the itch. I know from what I have read my rinehart duals may hold me back some on potential gains but don't want to got to a 2 to1 exhaust on my SG. I figured I would start with a cam. I spoke a little with FM and Bob Wood and they both said I could go with the TW777 cam. They said I could run that this summer and this winter I will get the heads done. Do others agree? Next is should I go a head and do roller rockers? Solid lifters? Right now I ride 100% solo and run her fairly hard. Any input or advise is appreciated.

·
Maddog
394 Posts
You'll definately need some head work to take full advantage of those cams. Stock heads
don't flow worth a crap (I think they did that so they could sell SE parts) until you get
them worked on. The heads on your 2012 are a little better then the early TC heads,
but not by much.

I'd stay away from solid lifters. Stock rockers have roller tips already, so I'm not getting
where you're going with that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should of said aftermarket rockers or are stockers good enough for a mild build.

·
Maddog
394 Posts
Stock rockers are more than adequate. Sometimes you can try different rocker ratios to
see if the motor wants more cam, but generally the stockers are fine for most
applications...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have been doing a lot of reading on builds people have done and now have the itch. I know from what I have read my rinehart duals may hold me back some on potential gains but don't want to got to a 2 to1 exhaust on my SG. I figured I would start with a cam. I spoke a little with FM and Bob Wood and they both said I could go with the TW777 cam. They said I could run that this summer and this winter I will get the heads done. Do others agree? Next is should I go a head and do roller rockers? Solid lifters? Right now I ride 100% solo and run her fairly hard. Any input or advise is appreciated.
That cam really wants another full point of compression over/above where your current OEM compression is to be fully effective as we have worked with Bob Wood cams since he brought those to market back in the mid-90's. but that said, once you have your heads re-worked (and chances are you'll need the valve reliefs in you OE pistons machined as well at that time)it will really run very well.
If your a solo rider and like to grip-it-and-rip-it, then the 888 or the 8 may be of interest also.
If wanting to step up yet from there a 9B(that would require a domed piston) 120/120 plus can be easliy established with the proper head/induction system/pipe/tune.
No brag, but we probably have more hands-on knowledge in regards to his cams, than any other shop in the country, from his Shovel grind, XL set-ups, Evo cams, and the T/C's in all phases/forms of configruations.
Scott

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
set your heads up @ 9.8-1,go with a set of S&S .570`s.your heads flow fine for the time being to make decent power.when you decide to do your heads,the 570`s will still fit into a very nice build that will make 110+ hp with a compression ratio that wont be a problem (lower TDC lift,so there wont be a problem there either)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts