Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have the bug to build my own bike. I'm a machinist and I do home shop machining. most of my experiance is in the fireams field doing custom gunsmithing but have made parts for most anything for my friends. Can someone steer me to some good how to books or videos on building a Harley. I've seen alot of stuff online. Bikini clad girls putting them together! I'm not looking for building Frames and sheet metal just building one that I like from parts. I'm looking for the best info i can find. thanks

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
Poof... here it is: "How to Build A Harley Davidson Torque Monster". or how about badda-bam: "Sportster Performance Handbook".

Now your turn.

·
Registered
144 Posts
When not being able to buy a Harley with enough grunt many years ago started building my own machines.You can save an awful lot of coin and have exactly what your looking for.Best thing is when your done you will know your bike inside out.
My strategy has always included the parts manual specific to the year Harley I was building around.When going to an HD dealer it is so much easier then having to explain what you want to a lot of times parts people who are not experienced.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi guys I have the bug to build my own bike. I'm a machinist and I do home shop machining. most of my experiance is in the fireams field doing custom gunsmithing but have made parts for most anything for my friends. Can someone steer me to some good how to books or videos on building a Harley. I've seen alot of stuff online. Bikini clad girls putting them together! I'm not looking for building Frames and sheet metal just building one that I like from parts. I'm looking for the best info i can find. thanks
I agree with the others. How I do it is find a bike that I like. Then I look at it as though it were a blank canvas waitng for the artist brush. When I'm done I KNOW what I've got. Go 4 it and have fun.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm thinking about building my next harley. I've been looking at 80 CU inch evos. I wanna build a softail. You can get frames for $1,000. And motors for $1,500-$3,000. I wanna build a springer deluxe with a kickstart. And instead of financing a bike. I can just buy the pieces as I have money.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
144 Posts
There is no better feeling than throwing a leg over your own creation. Been doing it so many years when I get ready for a project just about have the build done in my head. It is all about doing the leg work Do Not be in a hurry,take your time,any questions ask and understand what your doing you will be all smiles in the end.
My next project has already started just need warm weather again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts