Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an 89 fxlr with an evo 1340, 40K miles. I recently went on a long trip and noticed I was getting some smoke from the exhaust and the guys behind me said I was putting off some bad fumes. I am not sure if it relates but before the trip I replaced the two oil filter lines. I used some bulk line from the auto store. The line from the front was a little crimped. Iam sure I should replace that but not sure if it would have anything to do with the fumes? Suggestions?

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
How has the rest of the motor been cared for? Try a compression test to see if you piston rings may be letting something by as well as the top end may be letting some oil past the valves.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
May need just a quick re-ring(as long as the cylinders are round?)and a valve job with new seals.
Scott

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Before tearing it down, check inside the air filter. If there is a lot of oil there, you may just have some blow-by. Maybe too much oil in the thing.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Probably a real stupid question, but I'm gonna ask anyway. What color was the smoke? Blue = Burnt oil, Black = too rich.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If smoke was blackish and smelled bad probably carb. issue . Blueish smoke will smell like burnt oil . 40K on an EVO shouldn't be a problem , seen several with well over 100K and still going strong .

·
Registered
811 Posts
Probably a real stupid question, but I'm gonna ask anyway. What color was the smoke? Blue = Burnt oil, Black = too rich.

No not stupid. It gives you the direction to start diagnosing, why tear engine apart for fuel related issue. Such as bad regulator sending too much pressure or a bad injectors or bad map sensor or tps

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I believe the smoke was blackish. I havent really done any work to the engine. I had a buddy clean the carb this year because it was running bad and had to replace the accelerator pump diaphragm. Let me try some of the suggestion and keep you posted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If smoke was blackish and smelled bad probably carb. issue . Blueish smoke will smell like burnt oil . 40K on an EVO shouldn't be a problem , seen several with well over 100K and still going strong .
I pulled out the accelerator pump diaphragm and couldnt tell for sure because it fell, but it may have been put in upside down. I had the same guy do some work on my truck and discovered some shotty work. Didnt seem to change anything however. Its definatelly black smoke. When I get on the gas is when I see it. So I am thinking carb rebuild? I found a guy on ebay that does them for 115$. I could possibly do it myself but I dont really know much about them and I know its been jetted so I have no idea what size jet to order.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
A leakdown test would provide the correct info as to if the intake or exhaust valves were leaking, of if the rings were sealing also.
That test procedure would rule out needing to pull the top end.
Scott

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
May want to pull your plugs. Could use a good cleaning if you have been running rich for some time. Gives some idea on over all health of your motor. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
sounds like the carb is bad . that guy didnt rebuild it right. if he does shody work dont let him touch NOTHING. you can rebuild it your self , its not the hard to do. and with all the videos on you tube ect its a peice of cake. P/S get the manual for your bike. then work on it. if you have questons just post back here these fellas are great at that stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds like the carb is bad . that guy didnt rebuild it right. if he does shody work dont let him touch NOTHING. you can rebuild it your self , its not the hard to do. and with all the videos on you tube ect its a peice of cake. P/S get the manual for your bike. then work on it. if you have questons just post back here these fellas are great at that stuff.
Yeah I hear that. He only changed the accelerator diaphram and cleaned the bowl with the carb on the bike. I dont recall any smoke before he messed with it. I now suspect he messed up the adjustment on the float. From what I understand that could make it run rich or lean. I actually have the book and it does look pretty easy. Iam gonna check the float to begin with. I do appreciate all the helpful people on here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cleaned the carb by the book.The float was adjusted correctly. Everything went well except the bike is still acting the same. I noticed if I slowly accelerate it doesnt seem to smoke. Its when I hit the accelerator hard it smokes. Someone suggested the idle air might need adjusted.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have to agree with SoldierX, it is most likely blow by on the pistons, save yourself some time screwing around with the carb and get a compression test done. If it isn’t burning too bad I’d just let it goes until the season is over.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
It's black smoke.... Usually not oil

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
It's black smoke.... Usually not oil
I'm thinking this also.

Ever been behind an old 4 wheeler. Even if its not blowing black (excess fuel-too rich) it smells terrible (unburned fuel)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts