Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
On the fence
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 09 muscle with the satin finish dual exhaust. I am getting stains from rubber boot soles on top of the exhaust from the passenger. The foot pegs are directly on top of the exhaust making the pipes a footrest. Is there any products to remove the stains(rubber) and is there a way to protect the exhaust from future scratches and burns.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Easy-Off Oven cleaner.

Cover surrounding area.

Apply with pipes warm.

Let sit a few minutes.

Wipe off.

Protection from future burns: Keep feet off pipes.

Protection from scratches: Don't scratch it. Neve wipe pipes with anything you wouldn't rub on your face. Papertowels will scratch chrome. Only soft cloth and a MILD polish, like aluminum polish, like Mothers.

Seriously.....

·
On the fence
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will that harm the finish on satin metal?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Not sure..... I've used it on Chrome. With a satin finish, you may want to try it in a small place, on the underside where you can't see it. See what happens.

·
On the fence
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
51 Posts
There's really no such thing as "satin metal". All metals can have a satin finish including stainless and aluminum. There are actually two types of satin finishes.

1). A #4 architectural finish (satin finish) is characterized by fine polishing grit lines that are uniform and directional in appearance. It is produced by polishing the metal with a 120–180 grit belt or wheel finish and then softened with an 80–120 grit greaseless compound or a medium non woven abrasive belt or pad.

2). A #6 Finish (fine satin finish) is produced by polishing with a 220–280 grit belt or wheel softened with a 220–230 greaseless compound or very fine non woven abrasive belt or pad. Polishing lines should be soft and less reflective than a #4 architectural finish.

Pinnacle [http://www.watchpolishing.com/brush.htm] makes a great product.

But with this said, one should always know exactly the type of metal / finish they are working with before attempting to clean, polish, or buff.

Hope this helps.

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Folks.. I SWEAR by this stuff... its called "road rub" and it WORKS! I dont leave home without it. It looks and works like roll-on. It contains a VERY soft material that eats up boot/scuff marks on your chrome. NO scratches. Here's the link...

http://www.vanlark.com/

Enjoy...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts