Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some quality time with the bike today. Since it was too cold to ride, (Well, not that cold, but I'm getting over being sick.) I spent it working on the bike.

First, I finally got around to wrapping the exhaust. I didn't want a full wrap, and having done this on my race bike (for reasons other than appearence) it was easy enough to do. I used DEI Black, with stainless wire ties to secure it on the ends. I wet mine prior to installing it to get a super tight wrap. Let it sit for 3-4 hours to dry a little, then run it for 15 minutes to dry it the rest of the way. A little black silicone spray every now and then, and the color is restored and it looks new again.

Second, was a new headlight ring. The ones that Harely makes now look so much better, IMHO, then just a visor. Easy enough to install.... Off came the old ring and visor for a more modern look. Me likey.......:D

Third and fourth, were the addition of a leather tool bag on the bottom of the down tubes, behind the tire, and the install of a chrome storage tube on the right, down tube for registration, insurance card, spare gas $$, and whatever I need to stay with me, and remain warm and dry. Kinda blingy, (and expensive) but it filled a dull, empty space (in my heart) and looks cool.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you mind explaining why one would wrap pipes?
There are 3 reasons: For performance. For heat insulation. For bling. Mine is wrapped mostly for bling, but the insulation will be helpful n the summer. Little to no performance gains, really.

An engine is a big airpump. Air in. Air out. The more air moved, the better it runs. Exhaust pipes work like a chimney on a house. Heat causes a draft, and the exhaust has a specific velocity as it exits the engine. The longer the exhuast remains hot after leaving the engine, the longer it maintains that speed.

Up sides: By wrapping exhaust on a performance engine/vehicle, it keeps the exhaust hotter, longer, and allows it to exit the pipes quicker, improving scavaging inside the engine, and helps increase/maintain exhaust velocity. The wrap also drops the outside radiant temps from the pipes, keeping some/most of the heat off the rider, especially on hot riding days.

Down sides: Due to not allowing the pipes to vent-off exhaust heat naturally, stainless pipes will start to degrade after about 3-4 years, and Ti conststructed pipes will crack due to uneven heat distribution. Also, the wrapping steams like a pot of boiling water if it gets wet while riding.....and stinks.

What race bike?
Honda RC51... The top pic is at Pocono Raceway. I've been fortunate enough to get to ride at Pocono, Summit POint, WV, and at Barber Motorsports Park, In Birmingham, AL. It's a hoot....

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave... RC51 - Sweet. Came very close to picking one up several years ago. It is a WSB winning bike.
Yes it was. However, the WSB model and mine barely shared the same frame and hand grips in common.:D It's a 1000cc V-twin, overhead cams, with FI that delivers 125 rwhp/75 fpt. With mods like exhaust, PC and a few others, it would reach 130 rwhp/78 fpt. WSB models pushed out 170-190 hp, and barely lasted an entire race, because of being wound so tight.

It's a heavy (compared to todays sportbikes) and difficult bike to race, but in skilled hands, a torque monster capable of fending off newer, lighter faster bikes. :p

Here's some onboard video of me riding it at BMP in Birmingham, Alabama. The sweetest track I've ever seen.....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v364/lucygoose1999/?action=view&current=8db473d2.flv

When the bike was finally sold, it had full Ohlins suspension on it, front and rear, but was returned to the stock, street legal trim. The suspension alone was almost 1/2 the price I paid for the bike, but made it handle like a dream on the track.

The cams have a distinct whine to them. :D At 3:09, if you look to your left, you'll see the Barber Motorsports Motorcycle Museum. The collection of motorcycles there is amazing. I got pics too.......:eek:

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Dave... That was an outstanding video, and one of the finest Barber vids I've seen! Your RC sounded sweet. Riding Barber is high on my wish list. How did you make it happen?

Yeah, the RC51 was homologated by Honda for the WSB, AMA Superbikes, but understandably, not a lot in common with the bikes raced. Recall Colin Edwards winning the WSB in a dramatic series of wins at the end on the RC, with help from Troy Bayliss and a streak of poor fortune on his Duc.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave... That was an outstanding video, and one of the finest Barber vids I've seen! Your RC sounded sweet. Riding Barber is high on my wish list. How did you make it happen?

Yeah, the RC51 was homologated by Honda for the WSB, AMA Superbikes, but understandably, not a lot in common with the bikes raced. Recall Colin Edwards winning the WSB in a dramatic series of wins at the end on the RC, with help from Troy Bayliss and a streak of poor fortune on his Duc.
I'm a member of ROGUE. (RC51 Owners Group of United Enthisiasts) The owner, Michael Wheeler, is a top notch rider and knows this bike like he made it himself. He's also an instructor and staff member for STT. (Sportbike Track Time) He arranges, on a yearly basis, for all the members of Rogue, and friends to come and ride at Barber. There's a limited number of spots and members have first choice and after that, friends of members can sign up.

It was 2 days (back to back) in 2007; May 11-12. It was sunny, 85* and 60% humidity. I rode in the Intermediate class, as I've done 30 trackdays before this, but I gotta tell you, it was the most fun I've ever had in my life, to date.

Barber is one of the USA's Premier tracks. Elkhart Lake and Laguna Seca are the others (one more I believe) and the elevation changes and track layout were the nicest I've seen. The track is 40 foot wide EVERYWHERE and despite the appearence of a ton of room to ride, getting overconfident will bite you in the a$$ every time.....:D

Check with STT, as they run there on a regular basis, from what I understand.

My helmet is a Colin Enwards replica.........:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts