Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
I'm picking up my 2009 Fat Boy tomorrow and it doesn't come with an alarm, but will be $14,995 plus 20% off all parts, accessories and 10% off of labor. It does NOT come with the factory alarm.

Which would you do?

1.) Have a factory alarm system installed.
2.) Have another after market system installed.
3.) Use a heavy chain set up.
4.) Don't even bother with an alarm

I need to know before I pick up the bike. Please let me know your thoughts...soon!:rofl:

Thanks...
Rumble On

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
My brief thoughts... get the alarm if you live in a place where the bike is at risk, and/or plan on taking the bike on many trips with it sitting outside in a motel/hotel parking lot.

·
Registered
39,558 Posts
I use an alarm for quick trips.
In addition to that, I use a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit log chain for extended trips.

Sometimes I augment both with a 1911 .45

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,194 Posts
I think the alarm is one of those dealer gravy/margin enhancer deals, I don't think you'll get the bike cheaper w/o it. One clever use I have seen, I think there are guys on the V-Rod forum who have used it to rig a keyless ignition, use the fob, deactivate the alarm, then the starter is active. No key.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
I own a specialty electronics shop in southern california. personally i never use my alarm. cobalt chain or front disc brake lock is all i use. Most bikes are stolen by tow truck or pickup backed up to it and hauled off. all the alarm is gonna do is let you know if some 10 year old kid is sitting on your ride or not.
i installed a $900.00 alarm on a streetglide. had a radar sensor. warning tones multiple electric kills even strobe lights in the front and rear lenses.

it was hauled off two weeks later at a local motel within 10 minuets.

i wont talk you out of an alarm because retail sales will boost the economy. just think of it like buying insurance. it wont hurt but it is not a guarantee.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have low jack do not have to be bother with harley error codes when doing a change on bike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check Out Jp Cycles They Sell Digital Guard Dawg . No Wires You Can Install It. It Replaces Your Starter Relay With Their Smart Relay. Just Carry A Tag Like The Factory System. Have It Works Great , Took 10 Mins To Setup Only Cost 169.99

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I like the 1911 45 cal idea best mutable uses My thought was if want it they're going to take it. so I just lock it and insure it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The alarm that came on my nighty was a 340.00 option, should haved taken it off and saved the money since all it does is makes the lights blink. IMO, it's not worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The alarm may be a great option however, if someone wants your bike... not sure its goin make a difference, common sense and a 9mm are still my first choice.

·
Registered
87 Posts
#3 & #4
IMO, just more electronic stuff to cause problems.
I used to dread fixing my points on the side of the road @ midnight in the rain with a dollar bill; now I dread reading my owners manual with a bic lighter on the side of the road @ midnight in the rain trying to reset my PIN cause the fob battery went dead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys,
I decided to just go ahead and have the factory alarm with fob installed. You guys have very valid points, but in the end the dealer gave me 20% off parts and 10% off labor, so I took advantage of it.
Thanks...
Scott

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Screw the pooch, My ultra came with the alarm but no sound effects WTF Another 80 bucks for that. So the friggen lights flash all goofy, whoopee. So I forked out and got the squawking horn too. That everybody who hears it will proceed to ignore just like all the other car alarms. Coarse for even more you can have the really fancy fob, extra pocket baggage as it dont replace the first one. I guess it's supposed to page you if your bike is getting violated yuk yuk mighta coulda used that for my EX she was always out trying to get violated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me it's cheap insurance to have the factory alarm. It's another barrier to theft, another layer for a thief to have to negotiate. And it may provid the few extra seconds of prevention that will allow me to get to the crime scene before he/they flee.
It doesn't hurt that I get a break from the insurance company too. That will pay for itself over a few years time. None-the-less, you all have very valid points.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I see these alarms from a couple of perspectives. I am a mechanic at an HD dealer in NJ. The new alarms svck, all they do is drain that battery. I prefer the old HD alarm, because you could choose to activate it or not. As far as theft, it takes seconds to load a bike into a van. The old alarm was good to let you know if someone was sitting on your bike, that is about it.

I am also retired from the NYPD. Those lojacks svck. In urban areas, the signal bounces all over the place, it is hard to keep track of a car. Usually you nd up tracking impounded vehicles. It is rare when we recover a stolen auto with lojack.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
GET IT!:thumb, alot of HD dealers DON'T give discounts on electrical parts, SO IF YOUR GUNNA GET IT-TAKE IT!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts