Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, happy new year.

I'm new here and I'm new to the world of motorcycles! :D

Right now I'm in the researching phase of buying a bike and I like the sportsters in general but budget wise and most importantly for me, the looks of the bike, I have chosen the iron 883. As I said I'm new to riding, never had a bike before but I won't consider buying any other bike as I don't like them. I don't really care about how powerful the bike is I'm just in love with the sportsters and having a Harley is like a dream. People say getting iron 883 is a bad choice for a first bike but no one says why?!!

Now, my question here is should I buy a new one or a used one?

A new stock one is 8000$+ and a used 2010 to 2013 is around 8000$. This seems a little bit odd to me. Why are the prices so close to each other? Is it because they have changed some parts to their liking in the used ones?

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
It's the "don't ask, don't get" syndrome with used bikes. I did a quick "883 for sale" scan and only saw two for $8000. Dream on my brothers.

·
Registered
11,033 Posts
People say getting iron 883 is a bad choice for a first bike but no one says why?!!

Now, my question here is should I buy a new one or a used one?
Welcome. What may be a "bad choice" for some may not be bad for you. There are a few forum members who are quite happy with their 883 Sportys. But the majority of those starting on an 883 end up going to a 1200 Sporty or a bigger bike.

A dealer will almost certainly be higher than if you buy a used bike from an individual. Look around and check Craigslist. Lots of slightly used Sportys still in warranty for sale.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
All I can say is be very careful. you say you don't care about the power? For most beginning riders sportys have way more power than you can handle.

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
You can save money buying used but if you are new to motorcycles you may not want to buy used. Not all after market upgrades are good and someone may be selling to off load a project that didn't work out so well. It is good that you know the look and style that you want, just be very selective when shopping for a used bike and make sure to do an inspection.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
One of the best things that you can do when you are ready to start riding is to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course. It will give you a very good orientation of how to ride a motorcycle safely. Upon successful completion of the course, your DMV will likely honor the MSF certificate and issue you a motorcycle classification license without further examinations. Not sure if all jurisdictions are that way, but it was for me and many others. It is a fun course to take too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the best things that you can do when you are ready to start riding is to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course. It will give you a very good orientation of how to ride a motorcycle safely. Upon successful completion of the course, your DMV will likely honor the MSF certificate and issue you a motorcycle classification license without further examinations. Not sure if all jurisdictions are that way, but it was for me and many others. It is a fun course to take too.
I will surely take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Okay having had sportys as well as what in the day was called the big twin as well as presently owning a 09 Fat Bob as well as a custom chopper here is my opinion on why the sportster may be said not to be a good starter bike. In general the center of gravity of a sportser is higher up than the bigger harleys or other cruiser type motorcycles. Also these bikes specially the 1200's have a lot of torque and are quite powerful even thought their horsepower statistics are not as high as other bikes out there. In my opinion the center of gravity is just a balance thing when you start to ride motorcycles. Here are a couple of things to watch out for with a "beginner" sportster (or any bike for that ). Make sure you can sit on the bike with your feet flat on the ground. If you can barley touch the ground with the tips of your toes then you copuld have issues when ever you come to a stop. The wider the handlebars are the easier it is to turn corners and control the front end so if you are buying a used bike that has very short drag bars it will be harder to manipulate than a sportser with the stock buckhorn style bars. Once you are completely familiar with your bike and are comfortable with it then you can look at switching out the bars if the ones you have are not what you are looking for. A lot of sportsters have forward controls. for a first bike this can be intimidating as it may seem weird and hard to always move your feet from an on the ground position to the forward controls. The mid controlled sportsters are eaisier in my opinion for someone learning to ride as they are much closer to the feet on the ground position. it also gives you the advantage that you can put highway bars up front so you have several positions to put your feet when on a long ride. My Fatbob has factory mid controls, one of the few coming from the dealer like this and I love it. I have the highway pegs as well so i can move my feet from the mid pegs to the forward pegs as well as to the passenger pegs giving a lot of different positions to ride in.

With respect to the fact that after having a 883 for a while you will want to go to a 1200 depending where you live a lot of harley dealers offer 883 to 1200 conversions over the winter period and usually the price for this is less than the difference of when you buy a new 883 compared to a new 1200

Buying New versus used is a matter of budget as used usually are cheaper than new. Remember that a bike that has a lot of mods to it is only worth the money for the mods if these are the exact mods you want to do. If you can afford new i would say go with new as then you know how the bike has been ridden from the start. Unless you know the owner of the used bike you do not know how it has been treated, what is wrong with it etc. and it may cost more in repairs or add ons than a new bike in the end.

hope this helps you in your decision

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay having had sportys as well as what in the day was called the big twin as well as presently owning a 09 Fat Bob as well as a custom chopper here is my opinion on why the sportster may be said not to be a good starter bike. In general the center of gravity of a sportser is higher up than the bigger harleys or other cruiser type motorcycles. Also these bikes specially the 1200's have a lot of torque and are quite powerful even thought their horsepower statistics are not as high as other bikes out there. In my opinion the center of gravity is just a balance thing when you start to ride motorcycles. Here are a couple of things to watch out for with a "beginner" sportster (or any bike for that ). Make sure you can sit on the bike with your feet flat on the ground. If you can barley touch the ground with the tips of your toes then you copuld have issues when ever you come to a stop. The wider the handlebars are the easier it is to turn corners and control the front end so if you are buying a used bike that has very short drag bars it will be harder to manipulate than a sportser with the stock buckhorn style bars. Once you are completely familiar with your bike and are comfortable with it then you can look at switching out the bars if the ones you have are not what you are looking for. A lot of sportsters have forward controls. for a first bike this can be intimidating as it may seem weird and hard to always move your feet from an on the ground position to the forward controls. The mid controlled sportsters are eaisier in my opinion for someone learning to ride as they are much closer to the feet on the ground position. it also gives you the advantage that you can put highway bars up front so you have several positions to put your feet when on a long ride. My Fatbob has factory mid controls, one of the few coming from the dealer like this and I love it. I have the highway pegs as well so i can move my feet from the mid pegs to the forward pegs as well as to the passenger pegs giving a lot of different positions to ride in.

With respect to the fact that after having a 883 for a while you will want to go to a 1200 depending where you live a lot of harley dealers offer 883 to 1200 conversions over the winter period and usually the price for this is less than the difference of when you buy a new 883 compared to a new 1200

Buying New versus used is a matter of budget as used usually are cheaper than new. Remember that a bike that has a lot of mods to it is only worth the money for the mods if these are the exact mods you want to do. If you can afford new i would say go with new as then you know how the bike has been ridden from the start. Unless you know the owner of the used bike you do not know how it has been treated, what is wrong with it etc. and it may cost more in repairs or add ons than a new bike in the end.

hope this helps you in your decision
Awesome tips. first time I get real advice. thanks!

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
^^^ that is s good response. I really don't need to add anything. The only thing that I may say is when I stated new to motorcycles I bought used and stated off with a softail duece. It is not the bike I have now but I'm glad I started with used because through my learning I dropped her a few times. Just food for thought. .. and I would also like to emphasize on the add ons really don't add much to the value of bikes at all! Good luck finding your first motorcycle and have fun and be safe. Welcome from eden nc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^ that is s good response. I really don't need to add anything. The only thing that I may say is when I stated new to motorcycles I bought used and stated off with a softail duece. It is not the bike I have now but I'm glad I started with used because through my learning I dropped her a few times. Just food for thought. .. and I would also like to emphasize on the add ons really don't add much to the value of bikes at all! Good luck finding your first motorcycle and have fun and be safe. Welcome from eden nc
I'm worried about the dropping too :/
If the add ons don't add much to the value then why isn't there a real price difference between a used and a new one? :O

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I'm worried about the dropping too :/
If the add ons don't add much to the value then why isn't there a real price difference between a used and a new one? :O
A lot of used bikes are priced high...the owner hoping to recover some or all of the cost of the modifications they've made. I recommend that you find a couple used bikes that you like and make them an offer. My guess is most of them are ready to deal.

New bikes have the benefit of a warrantee, and the peace of mind that you don't need to worry about how they were maintained. But, they are cherry, pristine, showroom perfect, which can be a lot of pressure for a guy that is learning and afraid of a couple drops.

My suggestion would be to buy something reliable that's not too pretty. Beat it up a little, take your lumps, work on it a little to learn how to do that, and then buy your dream new bike once you feel completely confident.

These are exciting times for you. Enjoy.

·
2,327 Posts
My suggestion would be to buy something reliable that's not too pretty. Beat it up a little, take your lumps, work on it a little to learn how to do that, and then buy your dream new bike once you feel completely confident.

These are exciting times for you. Enjoy.
I couldn't agree more!!! dropping something, that's already been dropped, doesn't hurt as much :)

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I couldn't agree more!!! dropping something, that's already been dropped, doesn't hurt as much :)
It's the main reason I'm not replacing my truck any time soon. It's got few enough dings to still look nice, but after 160k, it has enough dings where I can treat it like a truck without thinking about it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I started on an 883 sportster, Loved it. Sold it got a Road King, love the king. Nice ride for touring Will never sell the king. Wish still had the sporty. Between the two, the King is easier to ride, center of gravity lower as stated above. I wouldn't of believed it if I hadn't of experienced it on my own. So depends on what ur wanting to do with the bike. If touring don't be afraid of larger heavier bike starting off. Nothing wrong with sportster, don't let nobody talk u out of it. A HD dealer even told me sporty too small, won't like it need bigger. Bullshiz loved it. Just totally love all Harleys!! Ride on!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you buy new or used be sure the bike you get has highway/crash bars. That would take a lot of worry and save expensive repairs if you do drop it. Take the riders course and practice before you go out on the road.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The seller can ask whatever they want. You make an offer you think you can afford and let the barginning go from there.

As far as buying a used bike, make sure the title is clear. If there is a lien holder make sure you contact them directly to understand the process of paying off the loan and removing the lien before any money changes hands.

If you can't realize a significant savings buying used I would go for new given the benefits of getting a pristine bike under warranty.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
The used prices you are seeing are insane!!
Look around other areas on cl.

The crash bars are an excellent idea... my 800# road king is easier to pick up then my 550# sporty, because of the crash bars.

Get a sporty you absolutely love and keep it when you buy your next Harley (it is an addictive sickness) most people I talk to say they wish they never sold their sporty.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts