Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
09 Iron 1200
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Cali people have a good handle on the emissions topic? Or know of a current website I can visit to get accurate info?

Moving from East coast to Los Angeles. Have a 2009 sportster however it no longer has the stock exhaust on in. Has aftermarket short pipes which point straight down to the ground due to a big tire kit which I installed. The bike also has a salvage title. Don't know if that matters or not.

Don't know what I'm up against.

Any info appreciated!

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
No emissions testing yet. Has been brought up as a future development. If you have your original factory pipes and mufflers keep them. I believe stock mufflers have catalytic converters. Be pricey if you have to buy. Softails had them in 09 in Calif. may be not in other states. They could also include modified air cleaners. Smog checks on cars everything has to look stock or they will not pass you on the visual. They will site you for excessive noise and issue fix it tickets. If cop knows bikes and decides to mess with you. They can use a mirror to look under the muffler for EPA cert. L.A. has tougher smog regulations. Keep noise down till you hit open road.
Now that I possibly ruined your day. Ride safe and welcome to Left Coast.

·
American
28,658 Posts
CA will be the first when they start clamping down.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
I just registered my 2008 Rocker that I brought from Philly. All they did was check the VIN's and that blinkers and such were functional. The rest of the time they were just admiring the bike and couldn't wait to hear it.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
I just registered my 2008 Rocker that I brought from Philly. All they did was check the VIN's and that blinkers and such were functional. The rest of the time they were just admiring the bike and couldn't wait to hear it.
Im sure you gave them wink and smile, the bike did the rest:devil

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Y'know, now that I think about it, there were four of them checking out the bike and only one had a clip board.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Y'know, now that I think about it, there were four of them checking out the bike and only one had a clip board.

Good one, ride safe Sarah :devil

·
Registered
844 Posts
Back in 1970, when I lived in the L.A. area, I had to leave for work 15 minutes early most mornings. I usually got stopped by a LEO for one reason or another. Went to court with about 10 tickets and told the judge I was being harrassed. The nice guy dropped all the charges on the tickets. Sometimes, it is hard to restore and ride at the same time!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
i got a couple buddies trying to get there bikes registered here in cali. there both out of state.. A PAIN IN THE ARSE 100%... my vote is to sell them before you move ,(better yet dont move ) then buty new one here, cali is so f--ed up here with any out of state autos an scoots. it's just not worth the time or $$$$$$.
and if it has really low miles like 3000 or less you will not get it registered here. They give you the worst time trying to do that. ive told both my buddies just scape the bikes. but they both want to pursue, so i told them to start by going to scap yard get some used speedos that have lots of miles on them , then go down to inspection and have the chp run the numbers both engine and frame . casue you have to have matching numbers here. it just aint worth the trouble man.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
I just now read about the 2 year / 7500 mile rule...

Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits:

• California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle that had less than 7,500 miles on the odometer (at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition).

• Anyone from importing a new direct import vehicle less than two years old.
Source: dmv.ca.gov

·
Registered
419 Posts
One of the exemptions is that if move to Calif and you owned the vehicle in your home
state, and obviously it is registered to you in that state, and move
to Calif with 7500 miles or less on it and it's less than two years old,
you are still allowed to register your vehicle here. An acquaintance
from Ohio did it just a few months ago with his Fat Boy.

It's not that hard to do if you move here, you just need to know the
rules when you go to the DMV.

My friend was told by the DMV clerk when he first went to the DMV
that couldn't register his Fat Boy from Ohio. I showed him in the
DMV rules. So he went back and asked to talk with the manager,
the manager said that yes he was correct and could register his
Fat Boy... It now has Calif. title and plates.

The key was talking to the manager, not the clerk.
Clerks do love to tell people "You can't do that" however!

Check Calif DMV form FFVR-29 -
http://dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

Where it says:

"Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered."

Reactions: Boblo Escobar

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
This keeps people from buying new in Vegas & Arizona. Less sales tax.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts