Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a set of Andrews 48H in my 2009 96ci engine. Put in new lifters and new adjustable pushrods. Also installed a SE heavy breather. Got new map for my PCV. Now when I take off it puts out small cloud of smoke. Not everytime but most times. Also sometimes it does it on startup. I primed up everything correctly and everything is put together correctly but now this. Engine only has a little over 17k on it. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Canned maps are like me trying to wear your shoes and you trying to wear my pants.........don't fit, and look foolish.
I'd find an independant shop in your area that KNOWS how to tune.:thumbsup
Scott

·
Registered
710 Posts
I just put a set of Andrews 48H in my 2009 96ci engine. Put in new lifters and new adjustable pushrods. Also installed a SE heavy breather. Got new map for my PCV. Now when I take off it puts out small cloud of smoke. Not everytime but most times. Also sometimes it does it on startup. I primed up everything correctly and everything is put together correctly but now this. Engine only has a little over 17k on it. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Check your SE Heavy breather (breather bolts) the kit I ordered did not come with the correct bolts , and stock bolts caused this same problem with my bike. Harley had them in stock and only a few bucks and problem solved. May not be your issue but something to check.

·
Retired citizen
23,355 Posts
The bolts should be hollow I believe.
It also might be condensation burning off. OR rich mixture off idle. A dyno tune could cure the problem. Canned MAPs don't usually provide optimum performance, usually on the rich side to avoid engine damage. Rich mixture produces white smoke from the exhaust.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The stock bolts vent through the side of the bolt and if i remember correctly the SE Heavy breather bolts vent straight through and out the head of the bolt. If the wrong ones are installed will smoke white because the crank case is not vented to ambient but now a vacuum pulling oil into the cyl

·
Retired citizen
23,355 Posts
Right, the SE bolts have the nipple ends that the formed rubber hoses attach to them that vent the heads into the throat of the throttle body. The OEM bolts vent through the OEM backing plate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts