Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the points cover off thinking what I seen was a cam seal oil leak but this isn't oil and appears to be something from the cam sensor is the cam sensor screwed what can I do to fix this? I'll post pic to help explain.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HEAT...........

Over time heat will breakdown and destroy the sensor .

Happens all the time, just replace it . :)
OK but the sensors going to have hold out until I can afford a new one is it ok? I mean the bike still runs...or should I go with aftermarket sensor

·
Registered
419 Posts
Looks like the potting material melted. That secures the electrical
components in the unit, acts as a heat sink, and seals them as well.
With the unit now unsealed to the outside air, the electrical
components will probably over-heat and fail.
Probably pretty soon too.

Good Luck!

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
If that doesn't get replaced soon the OP is going to end up stranded someplace, just saying.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it better to buy an aftermarket ignition sensor or just replace the MoCo one?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Is it better to buy an aftermarket ignition sensor or just replace the MoCo one?
Now you have gone and done it ............

Hundreds of pages written about the pro's and con's of MoCo V Aftermarket .

As to what is "better"..... :dunno

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Dyna S ignition, J&P's or other aftermarket distributor. It's a direct replacement.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I found the stock cam sensor on Ronnies for $151 PN 32404-96 but I found sensors elsewhere for under $40 that reference PN 32404-90 only difference I find is the later doesn't have attitude (tip over) senor is this correct is there any problems with using the older sensor?

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Just don't tip over ! Also I wouldn't trust a pre-owned sensor, gotta be new in the original package.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just don't tip over ! Also I wouldn't trust a pre-owned sensor, gotta be new in the original package.
I don't plan on tipping over!:ducking but yes I plan to buy from a vendor and not some pre-owned flea bay item. Thanks for the help I'll post up if any issues arise and just to let you know how it goes!

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Your FXDWG thanks you for your service !:D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
really hate to dig up an old thread but I finally replaced the cam sensor (I know better late than never) and now no spark but I'm figuring that out sort of is there anyway to test the new cam sensor I put in? Also the terminals were wrong so I soldered the old ones to the new sensor would this affect it at all?

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Checks volts at the coil while cranking the engine over, black is negative the other (white) is positive. If no volts the sensor isn't wired correctly or the coil is shot.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
What kind of service manual ?
To test the ignition you need a special (Y) test lead that plugs in between the sensor wiring and the harness wiring.
Are you getting volts at the coil primary wires ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's the harley service manual resistance test are all good less than 1 ohm in all circuits I didn't ohm the coil I have voltage at the coil there is a part in there that says disconnect the cam sensor from the module and on the module side run a screw driver between green and black wire for no more than 2 seconds if you get spark suspect cam sensor. So I got spark when I did that so bad cam sensor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts