Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 FLHTCi with the 103. I have been told there have been some problems with cam tensioners wearing to the point it could ruin the engine. I was also told that in 2009 Harley corrected the problem and my 2012 has the updated version with better bearings, etc so no need to be concerned. Is this true?
AJR

·
Just Ride
3,267 Posts
Yes, hydraulic cam chain followers are far better than the old spring tensioners

·
Retired citizen
23,394 Posts
As far as I know the hydraulic tensioners have been trouble free in stock applications.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had mine replaced mine at 60K this spring. Mechanic said they started wearing and says he's been replacing them at around 70k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old dogg, i think i'll get mine done either this winter or next winter. I've got almost 50,000 mi. now. I've been told when you change your oil if you screen it if you ever see ANY little orange pcs. in the old oil it's time to shut'er down and have the job done. Before you got the job done did you ever witness any little orange pcs. in your old oil when you drained it? Probably not if you didn't use a fine screen to catch the orange. Thanks for the up n up !!! AJR

·
Just Ride
3,267 Posts
I replaced mine on my 2010 RGC only because I was installing aFM 107 kit @ 75k minimum wear on stock followers. My thought was they could've went another 100k. I replaced them mainly cause everything else was new in camchest. My stock tensioners weren't orange,that color was pre hydraulic,mine were more a yellowish cream.

Reactions: AJR

·
Registered
732 Posts
Old dogg, i think i'll get mine done either this winter or next winter. I've got almost 50,000 mi. now. I've been told when you change your oil if you screen it if you ever see ANY little orange pcs. in the old oil it's time to shut'er down and have the job done. Before you got the job done did you ever witness any little orange pcs. in your old oil when you drained it? Probably not if you didn't use a fine screen to catch the orange. Thanks for the up n up !!! AJR
No, I have not filtered through a screen. Not sure I want to, it'll just make me worry more lol.
I did see the old parts and they only looked a little worn. We do a lot of touring, so the peace of mind was worth it.

Reactions: AJR

·
Registered
12,010 Posts
Checked mine at 40K minimal wear in front some in rear. Hard to see but its doable. Will check again at 50K Stock 2009 96 motor Ride Safe Using Mobil 1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked mine at 40K minimal wear in front some in rear. Hard to see but its doable. Will check again at 50K Stock 2009 96 motor Ride Safe Using Mobil 1
I use Amsoil 100% synthetic. I wholely trust the Amsoil but knowing this issue is at hand i think i'll change even more often than the recommended 4,000 or 5,000 miles. Might move it to about every 3,000 just to make sure to keep good, clean oil in all the time.

·
Registered
12,010 Posts
Dealer had a oil change special few weeks after I bought her new, barely 300 miles had them change it. Then 500 and at 1K check. Been a 3K since new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2012 FLHTCi with the 103. I have been told there have been some problems with cam tensioners wearing to the point it could ruin the engine. I was also told that in 2009 Harley corrected the problem and my 2012 has the updated version with better bearings, etc so no need to be concerned. Is this true?
I thought 2006 was the last year with the spring tensioners, and in 07 HD went with a hyd system. I ride a 06 EG and installed the SE hyd tensioner kit myself 40,000miles ago. I'm now at 86,000 miles and going strong.

With a bike as new as yours I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
AJR
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Not only was the old style (1999-2007) of tensioner shoe made of garbage that didn't wear but crumbled with a WAY too strong of spring forcing them against the chain, but the actual chain itself was a huge part of the problem. Many neglect to mention the chain when talking about the issue, but your roller style chain is vastly superior to the run silent chain. A run silent chain looks nothing like a typical chain...it is a series of alternating 5 & 6 plates pinched together that almost look like what you'd come up with if asked to destroy tensioner shoes. When you pinch a normal chain around a sprocket you don't see any gaps, but the run silent chain fits a sprocket like crap with plenty of gaps. Harley haters say the 2007-up fix only delays the problem...they are wrong. No knife blade chain and no ridiculously heavy springs means you have zero worries.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Not only was the old style (1999-2007) of tensioner shoe made of garbage that didn't wear but crumbled with a WAY too strong of spring forcing them against the chain, but the actual chain itself was a huge part of the problem. Many neglect to mention the chain when talking about the issue, but your roller style chain is vastly superior to the run silent chain. A run silent chain looks nothing like a typical chain...it is a series of alternating 5 & 6 plates pinched together that almost look like what you'd come up with if asked to destroy tensioner shoes. When you pinch a normal chain around a sprocket you don't see any gaps, but the run silent chain fits a sprocket like crap with plenty of gaps. Harley haters say the 2007-up fix only delays the problem...they are wrong. No knife blade chain and no ridiculously heavy springs means you have zero worries.
Sorry, 2006 was last year for garbage tensioners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a big relief. Thank you for that info. This is my first Harley and i'm learning more and more about my bike every day. Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,010 Posts
Early fix was using a heavy duty wire wheel to buff edges off links. Individual links were punched out leaving sharp edges. Replacement spring loaded shoes were made of different material to last longer ???? dont know if that worked out. Noise requirements make engine as quiet as possible, PC bull crap plus it was to satisfy the soy boys in Europe. Cheaply done save money for HD not us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts