Harley Davidson Forums banner

Cam tensioner wear

6K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Eric Green 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I am wondering if anyone can help with a problem. Because it is supposed to snow again tomorrow I decided it would be a good time to check my tensioners for wear. What I found worries me a little. The tensioner pads have what is probably a normal amount of wear for 30k but the pads seem to be badly pitted so I am not sure if keeping them is a good idea. I will attach a picture (I hope). any imput would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
For 30,000 that doesn't look too bad.
I would button up and check again in 25,000.

#5 ·
I know I'm new here so pardon me for my opinion , but if you are already in there why not change them. They are not that expensive and peace of mind is worth something. I just helped my friend change his on his 06 wide glide and they had very little wear on them but we changed them anyway. But what do I know?

#8 ·
Check the inner, when in doubt, change em out. Cheap insurance.

#10 ·
Schmidty's is right: the inners are going to be about a 3rd more worn. The outers don't look that bad. Mine were literally gouged when I checked at 23k miles. I ended up switching to gears, but that's another story.

The tensioners are the weakness in a TC88 in my opinion. If your this far into it, I'd say just replace them any way, but that's up to you. It's just that the consequences can be dyer if they fail completely.

jp5882

#13 ·
Weigh your options carefully. Replacing the inner shoe involves removing the cam plate and cams which involves removal of the pushrods. If you're diving in I would suggest upgrading to at least the Harley SE hydraulic cam tensioner kit. Or, if your pinion shaft run out is minimal go to gear drive.

Here is a video that will show you what you're getting in to:

#14 ·
I would like to thank you guys for the imput. The inner shoe looks good and I took a picture of it to my local mechanic. He tells me the pits are normal in the spring loaded tensioners. That being said I have decided that gear drive will be the way to go so now I just have to dial the shaft to check for runout and then order the parts. I was going to wait and do this next winter when the big bore kit is installed but I figure that seeing as i'm already there I may as well do it now so one less thing I have to pay for next winter. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.