Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Road King Classic I purchased last year with about 15K miles on it. Last season I put on about 11k for a total miles of 26k. I brought it in to the local dealer to upgrade the cam tensioners to the hydraulic style. The dealer just called me and explained that my cams were worn outside of the allowable limits and should be replaced. I agreed to upgrade to the SE 203 cams. Have others come across abnormal wear on their cams with such few miles. I have been religious about changing fluids on schedule.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have a 99 Road King Classic I purchased last year with about 15K miles on it. Last season I put on about 11k for a total miles of 26k. I brought it in to the local dealer to upgrade the cam tensioners to the hydraulic style. The dealer just called me and explained that my cams were worn outside of the allowable limits and should be replaced. I agreed to upgrade to the SE 203 cams. Have others come across abnormal wear on their cams with such few miles. I have been religious about changing fluids on schedule.

Replace the lifters at the same time, and NO, NOT WITH "C" LIFTERS EITHER. Get a good set of lifters to go back with. :thumbsup

:coffee:

·
Retired citizen
22,065 Posts
'99 was the first and worst year for the TC cam and tensioner problems, cam bearings were going to pieces also ! Your bike should have been updated to the newer bearings already but if not should be now. If doing the hydraulic tensioner upgrade new bearings come in the kit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The first year twin cams had hardening issues with the cams. I had a friend that had very few miles on his Ultra when his had to be replaced.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone. Am looking forward to worry free riding after the upgrades. The small added performance of the new cams will be a nice addition. Now if it would just quit f'ing snowing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts