Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I just had a new ignition module put in rode the bike for one day not even a total of 12 to 13 miles maybe 14 miles tops turned the bike off and then when I went to turn the bag by gone this noise came on can anyone help with this noise what it could be

·
Just Ride
3,267 Posts
Dead / weak battery.

·
Just Ride
3,267 Posts
Loose connection then,it sounds like relay is clicking. Was the battery load tested? Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.

Reactions: RJ64 and 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Remove, clean and re- torque The battery leads and the ground to the frame. If all the connections are clean and tight. That "new" battery has been sitting on the shelf for too long. Oh, verify the wires to the starter are clean and tight also.

Reactions: RJ64

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Loose connection then,it sounds like relay is clicking. Was the battery load tested? Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.
Come to find out it was the pinion gear it was torn to shreds so now I have to replace the fly wheel and pinion gear

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
I'll bet the starter overrun clutch is bad. That's what causes the pinion gear to get chewed up. By 'flywheel' I assume you mean the clutch hub ring gear. J&P carries replacement ring gear and pinion sets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll bet the starter overrun clutch is bad. That's what causes the pinion gear to get chewed up. By 'flywheel' I assume you mean the clutch hub ring gear. J&P carries replacement ring gear and pinion sets.
U were correct I’m just learning how to work on Harley motors so it’s all new to me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And thanks I just bought one from Jp now for carburetor is there a way to fine tune a stock carb fuel to air ratio

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
And thanks I just bought one from Jp now for carburetor is there a way to fine tune a stock carb fuel to air ratio
The CV carbs self adjust for the most part. Use the factory settings and jets but bump the pilot jet up to a #46 - 48.
Also get yourself a H-D factory service manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts