Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This photo (see attachment) found in my Clymer's Shovelhead manual show a tool that would make head removal soooo much easier, but I can't find it in stores or on-line. Can anyone tell me where I can get it and what it's called? Also, how do you torque the head bolts on a shovel head given the lack of space between head bolts and cylinder base bolts? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Snap On used to sell one. It was made to adjust Ford door hinges. I got one and they work great on the old shovels. I used it on the end of my torque wrench for torqueing the heads. A little math is involved as it multiplies any torque setting. Think mine was 12" long so I reduced the torque wrench setting by 1/2
Scot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for Reply

I looked through the on-line Snap-on catalog and didn't find anything, mainly due to my inability to put a name to the damn tool; it's not a breaker bar, not a ratchet, not a driver---it's a bent bar with a socket drive on the end! I have considered just going to a welding shop and have them make a bar with a 3/8" squared-off end and then have them tack a 7/16" socket on the end. Thanks for the tip on torqueing. Another matter I was concerned with (my heads aren't torqued) I knew that any improvised wrenching would skew the torque bar readings. I just can't understand why with a clear need for an application as critical as head bolt torqueing on shovelheads a tool is not readily available to shovelhead owners. Harley Davidson Service Dept. reps can't seem to grasp what's needed and why it's needed, muchless ponint me in the right direction to obtain one. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used a Snap On dog bone 9/16 with a 3/8 ratchet slot on one end. I haven't used it in years (since selling the 81 wide glide). The only bad head bolt was under the coil on the rear jug the very last one in the sequence.

·
Banned
1,604 Posts
As for torque , they're called torque adaptors , a little dogbone looking thing about 2in long with a box wrench on one end and a 3/8" female square for a torque wrench on the other. Ya gotta adjust the torque a bit to compensate. I set my torque wrench to 55 ft.lbs. for headbolts.

Snap-On , MAC and Proto all sell them in all 12pt box wrench sizes.

·
Retired citizen
23,398 Posts
Sears sells them too ! If you put them on the ratchet or torque wrench at a right angle then there's no adjustment to torque . The only time you need to compensate is if the extension makes the wrench longer .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts