Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why does my bike sometimes sound like a can of marbles rolling around?:mad: Someone told me this is normal for a Harley? I wouldn't know from experience this is my first Harley. 2009 FXSTC with 2200 miles. Frst oil changed at 975 miles with Syn 3.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
When the temps. would get real hot My old shovel head would sound like a threshing machine but i`ve never heard a new harley that would sound like a can of marbles rolling around.:1drink

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Somethings wrong take it in for warranty. My 09 is the quietest HD I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More like a.............

OK, a can of marbles is probably not the most acurate description. It's more like a sewing machine I guess. Doesn't do it all the time. I do know it is fairly noticeable in 3rd while holding a steady throttle at 30 MPH.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
2007-2009 Harleys have an automatic primary chain adjuster that makes a funky "Werrrring" noise that can be clearly heard from the primary (left) side, if you lean down a little. Hell....you don't even have to lean down.......

It's "supposed" to get quieter after 500 miles.

I just listened to my friends 2007 Deluxe tonight, and it's louder then my 1995, that I JUST installed one in....

Lean over to the left a little next time and see if that's where it's coming from.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 2009 FLHT makes a clicky clicky clicky noise from the valvetrain when cruising right in the range where there is BARELY a load on the engine. ease off the throttle it quiets up. roll into it and it quiets up. I was told by some other people that harleys just have noisier valves than other bikes. Its just a bit of valve tap that it has done since day one.

And every other HD I have rode was LOUD...mine is stock...

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
OK, a can of marbles is probably not the most acurate description. It's more like a sewing machine I guess. Doesn't do it all the time. I do know it is fairly noticeable in 3rd while holding a steady throttle at 30 MPH.

3rd an doing thirty? Kinda sounds like your lugging. Really dont know softail gear ranges though.

·
Trade School Alumnus
502 Posts
3rd an doing thirty? Kinda sounds like your lugging. Really dont know softail gear ranges though.
Lugging is what is going on, the compensator is getting hammered.

They rattle under normal conditions (can of marbles).

$500 to $600 dealer fix??

Al

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
My brother-in-law just traded his 08 FLHRC in on an 09 FLHX like mine yesterday. It's funny that his sounds different than mine and it's the same exact bike other than color. His doesn't seem to clunk when you put it in first gear and it starts up quieter. It just sounds smoother all together. Maybe it's just because it's new???

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shift by ear. Although the manual does call for an upshift from second to third at 25 MPH. Doesn't seem like it's lugging in 3rd at 30?

·
Trade School Alumnus
502 Posts
Checked today, 30 mph in third by my tach is a little less than 1900 rpm.

Al

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I shift by ear. Although the manual does call for an upshift from second to third at 25 MPH. Doesn't seem like it's lugging in 3rd at 30?
I have found the manual recommendation for my bikes VERY conservative like as in old lady shifting. I think while you could shift at 25mph just dont stay there. And a 30mph shift point might be more realistic.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It might be on the low end but it is not lugging.

·
The Northern *******
7,170 Posts
Two things....you are probably hearing the primary chain...I changed my primary & transmission to 75W-90 Lucas synthetic and my primary got a lot more quiet..I went to Lucas in Corona, CA and talked to an engineer...as they make mtorcycle oil, their people also ride....and that is what they are running in their own scoots...the second thing is oil temperature versus noise...as your oil gets hotter, there is more noise..the synthetic, (I use 20W-50 Lucas synthetic in the motor)..run cooler and gives better protection at higher temperatures....so if it stays cooler the translates to less noise....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a similar noise, at any speed in any gear, (left side rear). When I hold in the clutch it stops (still in gear). I tighten all the exhaust stuff and it seemed to stop, but now its back. Any thoughts?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I went out and actually looked when I shifted, this being my Ultra.
I didnt ever look for third until I was doing 40. MY Sportster is worse than that I'm sure with the SE mod. I know I'm not thinking about
5th till about 70. I'll hit the Rev limit in 3rd if I'm not careful.

·
Trade School Alumnus
502 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Trade School Alumnus
502 Posts
Time will give you that answer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts