Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I did a quick search and didn't find another thread specifically about this on my bike, but if there is one, I won't feel bad if you redirect me there.

I broke my own cardinal rule last time I got the oil changed at the dealer. I rode off without checking the quantity and then forgot about it. Turns out it was overfilled by quite a bit, I'd say half an inch above the hot full mark. I rode it like that a few hundred miles until oil started pissing out all over from around the sump cap (Ok, makes sense) but also, after cleaning it up and running it in the garage, I found a leak at the vent line fitting on the engine case.

Brought it back to the dealer to fix. They said the oil was overfilled, and drained it to proper quantity. I said I wasn't coming to get it until they fixed the actual leak, so they re-test-rode it and found the leak. Now they called and said they need to replace the metal lines on the side of the sump, their associated fittings, AND-- H-D warranty is not going to cover the cost of the lines!! I'm so pissed, why did I buy this expensiveass warranty?? Dealer says the leak was NOT caused by overfilling the sump, but it seems to be a weird coincidence. What is going on here? Can a 103 be damaged by overfilling the oil? Seems like it would just blow out the sump cap or the breather. (I checked my air cleaner before bringing it in and it was dirty, but not very oily.)

Thanks!
Katie

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
Welcome, from Ft Bragg, NC! I'm sorry to hear about you troubles with your bike and totally understand how frustrating that can be. I'm no expert on dry sump engines and the oil tank, but I know that too much pressure on about anything will cause seal failure and create leaks. There are many experienced folks on this forum that should see this post soon and be of assistance to you, hopefully shortly. I, too, would like to know what caused that leak since I have the same engine and tank, albeit on a Deluxe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, from Ft Bragg, NC! I'm sorry to hear about you troubles with your bike and totally understand how frustrating that can be. I'm no expert on dry sump engines and the oil tank, but I know that too much pressure on about anything will cause seal failure and create leaks. There are many experienced folks on this forum that should see this post soon and be of assistance to you, hopefully shortly. I, too, would like to know what caused that leak since I have the same engine and tank, albeit on a Deluxe.
Thanks! Yes, I hope so too. It has me worried. :confused:

·
Registered
40,433 Posts
Engine cant be damaged by overfilling on a Softail.

Oil pump will only take as much oil as it can pump from the tank.
Only thing that will happen is that it will piss excess out the filler spout.

Let me guess, you had Rawhide work on it?
I'm from KC too.

·
Registered
40,433 Posts
I would be looking at those metal lines myself to see if they really need to be replaced.

Only thing that should be needing to fix that is new O-Rings, cheap.

Getting the impression that Rawhide likes to screw people over yet?

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be looking at those metal lines myself to see if they really need to be replaced.

It's Gail's. I will be doing my own maintenance from now on and if there is something major, I'll take it to Outlaw.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's Gail's. I will be doing my own maintenance from now on and if there is something major, I'll take it to Outlaw.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I'm not sure why they want to replace those. Obviously H-D doesn't see the need for it. In my opinion, if they were damaged, it would be a factory workmanship issue and should be covered... unless there is something stupid in the warranty contract I didn't see.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep dealer overfilled mine too on my heritage and was burping oil into the intake and air cleaner.
I just replaced all the fluids last weekend and 2.5 quarts with filter put it right where it needed to be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just a follow-up for the locals reading this... Gail's is working with me to ensure the service on my bike is better going forward. I'm actually impressed that the GM cared enough to call me to talk about it once he found out I've been having problems with the quality of my basic service. So we'll see where that goes. I just hope they take the small stuff seriously so the quality of workmanship is better for everyone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's another follow-up for the KC locals who might be interested. When Gail's replaced my oil lines, the feed line installation ended up being a hack job. (This was after the conversation I had with the GM, referenced above!) It leaked while COLD, straight out of the oil tank. I had Outlaw come pick it up and fix it right. I won't say Gail's is out to screw people over, but I will say their techs need more training, or need to be much more careful. My experience there has definitely NOT been the work of a "master technician," but rather, one of rookie mistakes and total lack of quality control. Please, if you go there, take the time to check everything over very carefully before you ride away.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here's another follow-up for the KC locals who might be interested. When Gail's replaced my oil lines, the feed line installation ended up being a hack job. (This was after the conversation I had with the GM, referenced above!) It leaked while COLD, straight out of the oil tank. I had Outlaw come pick it up and fix it right. I won't say Gail's is out to screw people over, but I will say their techs need more training, or need to be much more careful. My experience there has definitely NOT been the work of a "master technician," but rather, one of rookie mistakes and total lack of quality control. Please, if you go there, take the time to check everything over very carefully before you ride away.
Did you have to pay those guys?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you have to pay those guys?
They paid my bill at Outlaw. They've always fixed their screw-ups on their own dime, so that's good. But I am out the $200+ for new lines I'm not even sure I needed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Damn right!! It sure was nice to get out there today. Spring can come any time now...
Damn right!! It sure was nice to get out there today. Spring can come any time now...
No sh!t!
Had snow, rained, warmed up and a lot of it melted!
Mine is covered up in garage and if we can get a few more days of warmer weather, riding is quite possible!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts