Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of those mandatory rides for family coming this weekend. My Great Niece arrived and the Baptism is Sunday. Of course, if I don't show, there will be hell to pay more or less.
Got to thinking about the last few trips over that part of the world. Keep in mind I spent over 40 years in New Orleans...I know every street and back alley and dirt path to be had in that town....at least the ones that remain since Katrina. But it's a matter of things that are the same, only different.
Last couple of trips to the old neighborhoods and I felt like I had landed on an alien world. Everything was where it was before I left, but, for example, the old house I spent my first 11 years had been painted some sort of pastel bad salad mixed with baby crap green (my cousin, Nancy who owns the placed now, is going to pay when I see her).
They painted my old High School PINK. Arrrrgggghhhh!
The old District 8 Naval Support Station is now a public park and who knows what else. The second house in my life now has bars on the windows and doors........can't recall that we ever locked the doors on that place.
Met an old riding friend on the Old Algiers Point last year, and glad I got instructed by the locals that the route I was going to take back out was not advised, and better I went a longer way to get back to the Mississippi River Bridge. Didn't ask why I should...not sure I want to know. As we finally made it to Old Hwy 90 and began the trek to the Mississippi Coast, I realized finally that my old home isn't where I live anymore. The memories are more or less intact, and I'll always have them, but they don't match the present reality, and home has moved further east.
When I go back Sunday, it'll be like another ride to explore a new place that is so changed from the place I have in my heart.

·
Registered
163 Posts
de w0gan

I know the feeling.
Born and raised in Dodge City KS. Went back over the years, but that town is a shell compared to the 60's as I was progressing through my teens.

After 26 Army years and 15 civilian years, go back to visit my only remaining relative in that town and it's like another whole State.

I lived all over the US, Korea, Germany and even Central America and Haiti (more than 6 mos in any one place means I lived there).

All in all, things are better now, but I still miss some of the things and people from my younger years.

73's

·
Banned
130 Posts
I grew up in a suburb of NYC called Rockland County.

When I was a kid, the pickup trucks still had gun racks in them. Now the whole dang place is miles behind enemy lines.

·
Registered
11,965 Posts
I grew up in a suburb of NYC called Rockland County.

When I was a kid, the pickup trucks still had gun racks in them. Now the whole dang place is miles behind enemy lines.
When I was growing up, Rockland County was out in the country. Stoney Point to be specific. My grand fathers nearest neighbor was a mile away. Things do change.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone told me today that he went "back" and all it was was a bunch of houses and old buildings. the people are all gone and all that's left are memories of back when. One of the things that we aren't warned about when we are younger is that time does more than age our bodies. Old friends and neighbors move or pass on and all we have are memories. Taking it from there, I guess all we have left are the ones we have yet to make and the friends we are going to meet to add to those who are with us now.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know what you mean, I lived the first 17yrs of my life in Baton Rouge. I left in 1970. My mother lived there in the house I was raised in (grandfather built), until her death 13yrs ago. When she died my sisters and I sold the house to a niece, who then sold it out of the family. What few friends I still have there don't understand why I have so much trouble navigating around town. They give directions based on stores, buildings, streets that did not exist when I was in high school. To them, they have been there forever (30-40 years). I made the mistake of driving through the old neighborhood and past the house I was raised in a few years ago. It was very depressing to see the state of the place, knowing the pride my grandparents and then my mom took in the appearance of the house and yard. It didn't look like the house I was raised in.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
When I was a year old my Parents bought and moved us, me and 3 older sisters into the house I will always consider Home.
Was a century house at the time. In it`s beginning had been the main house for and old fruit orchard plantation.

It`s gone now. Leveled. What was left of the peach orchard, gone. Cherry trees, red, black and yellow, gone. Mom made some of the best pies. Even home made hand rolled crust. :drool
The old rough cut sandstone walled basement filled in. The hill in the backyard that we rode our sleds on in the winter and rolled down in the summer, all gone.
Nope. Sure can`t go back now. :(

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
The only constant anymore is change.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Someone told me today that he went "back" and all it was was a bunch of houses and old buildings. the people are all gone and all that's left are memories of back when. One of the things that we aren't warned about when we are younger is that time does more than age our bodies. Old friends and neighbors move or pass on and all we have are memories. Taking it from there, I guess all we have left are the ones we have yet to make and the friends we are going to meet to add to those who are with us now.
Well said. I too can relate. My little home town isn't anymore. Sad.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Boy did you strike a nerve with me! In 2010 had occasion to visit the town I grew up in in Maryland. I always felt lucky, since I graduated HS with kids I started kindergarten with. Lived in the same house till I got drafted in '69. Anyway went and found my house. The whole neighborhood is nothing but non-native Americans with accents. Houses were painted bright colors and all the big old trees were gone. Just saying, the world is always turning. I was a fool to think after 40 some years it would all be the same. But still, it's like a part of my life had been erased. Ain't life a trip?

2013 FLHRC
N. AZ and Rte 66

·
Registered
982 Posts
I visit my old neighborhood every once in a while. I basically grew up there starting 1st grade, junior high and then to high school. Finished my senior year in high school at a different home in another part of town. My old house was in a neighborhood that everybody knew everybody and everybody got along. That neighborhood is now referred to as the "Hood". What a shame. Fond memories, but it ain't like it use to be. Have always heard to never look back, but it's hard not to.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My high school was pretty cool. I always liked the architecture.
The main building entrance had wide stone/concrete steps up to huge double doors that opened into a entrance hallway that was filled with trophy cases.The front of the building had those big ole columns that look like a Roman Coliseum. Fast forward almost 40 years and I've moved from the left coast to the right coast and we're planning a vacation that includes a run from south to north, going through the old neighborhood. I managed to find a couple of old (girl) friends that still live in the area. Thank you classmates. lol. I tell them what we're planning and they each tell me seperatly to preserve my memories of the place because it's changed so much now.

Turns out that an earthquake had taken out all the columns and they didn't have the money to replace them. All the windows now had iron security bars on them, and the walls were the scene of a battle between janitors and graffiti artists.

I decided that I still wanted to see the place, walk the halls.
When I pulled up in front of the main building I couldn't believe how much it had changed. I never got out of the car. They were right, I should have kept my memories.

On the bright side, I went by the house that we had lived in and it was still the same blue and gray that it had been we we lived there.

The old street race route used to be sparsely populated and few traffic lights. Well, now there was a traffic light at every corner and nothing but strip malls, commercial bldings, and fast food joints. Yep, should have kept my memories.

Okay you SoCal guys, here it is..er was:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yes it is a sorry state indeed when you go back to the old neighborhood. It seems to me when I did that the changes were not for the better. At least the memories are still there in all their former glory

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
My step-dad was an engineer and we moved a lot. I grew up all over the Pacific Northwest. Don't really have a "home" town. I go back to some of the towns and neighborhoods and some are still there, some are not. My only connection to most are memories.

Sometimes, I envy my wife. We went to her 50th high school reunion this summer. Her old high school is really a pretty cool old building, on the national historical register and all. Was fun to watch her with old friends. Her class was pretty big, with about 350 attending the reunion. About 150, it was reported, have passed on.

The little house she grew up in is still there, but it's a business now (counselor and massage therapy).

Spokane is like that. A lot changes. A lot doesn't. I like it, though.

My 50th is coming up. Since I was only at that HS for a year, I wonder if I should go. Maybe I should, just to show I survived.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
347 Posts
No, you can't go back but trying to is a great way to develop a feeling of disconnection from the people and places of your Norman Rockwell past. Your new reality is political correctness, Obama-care and the selfish attitudes of a left wing right brained "Y" generation. This is the reason they make booze :D.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In a little over an hour, my final trip back to the "old place" will commence. Pretty well assured the rain will spare me until the return trip to a more sane place of existence. At least it's starting out to be a perfect day for a ride. Thought about leaving early and hitting Café du Monde in the French Quarter for some beignets and good coffee, probably the only things worth the trip for me these days. Got the coffee here and promised the doc I'd make an effort to lose those pounds.
Rapier, my 50th is next year also. Haven't been to any of them yet. Not sure I'd recognize any of the people that might be there so it's an event I won't attend. When I get home tonight, I've made up my mind that I won't be going back again.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Made the trip and made it back to HOME with some observations. First, the place ain't where I came from, except maybe geographically. Places are gone, new places took the place of old places, people moved or passed on and new neighborhoods got made, and they aren't anything to do with me. So I resolved that my memories of then are all that is left and so be it....but as I rode home this evening, I realized that every day we are making new memories that sustain us until the next one. And of course the best ones have involved a large part of this board. Thanks to all of you for being part of those new memories.

·
Vile Deplorable
1,435 Posts
Going home for me means heading back to the Chicago area and being with my friends. I have family there still and I visit with them too, but my main reason for going home is to be with my friends.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts