Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was 16 in 1970, I hopped on a Penton 125 Six Day and rode it on dirt around a polo field near our house. Got cocky, went too fast, freaked out, hit the front brake too hard and went head over teapot. Dusted myself off, the bike wasn't damaged, hopped back on...then bought it for $110. :)

I got the bug because my Uncle Harold had a Triumph and he used to scared the bejesus out of me riding around Pontiac, Michigan. He weighed about 300 lbs. and I couldn't get my arms around him to hang on. I thought I was a dead man every time.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
my first ride was with a kid from the neighborhood on the back of his Yamaha 80. the year was 1964.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
It was a cold, clear night in 1962 in rural Louisiana. I was a passenger on 250cc Harley Sprint. My friend turned off the headlight as we were blasting down the 2-lane and scared the hell out of me.

It. Was. Awesome!

The first bike I rode myself was an extremely pipey 175 Kawasaki dirt bike which I immediately stood up on its rear wheel and found myself on my ass in the dirt.

I bought my first bike a week later. BSA 250 "dual-purpose" whose only purpose was to nearly get me divorced. Paid $563.00 for it brand new from the local Harley dealer.

43 years later, I'm on a Harley of my own. And still married to the same woman, loving both.

--

·
Mountain Rider
1,343 Posts
I was 14 when me and a classmate when in halves and bought a 150 Motoguzzi for 75 bucks each. We rode the thing into the ground during Christmas break and 2months later it was in the junk pile. But we sure had a lot of fun for a little while! We jumped terraces that were on the school grounds during the break and learning to do donuts.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I was 12 and rode a friend's 'mini-bike'....(Mark Swanson's). It was a pretty quick little thing, would reach 45 mph which was fast on that little thing....lol

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
First Ride

1967, all my friends started buying MC's. Mostly Triumph 650's.
some BSA's, Matchless here and there, I can't remember very well
think they were all 650cc. Felt it was time to join the life. I remember
even as a little kid thinking HD was the coolest looking wheel out
there. So my first bike was a 1949 pan head (wish I had a picture,
way before cell phone LOL).
My first ride,this is where you have to be a little familiar with
Philadelphia, Pa. first ride was to my grandmothers house, she
always like my machines as she called them. Well she lived off of Allegheney Ave. which is cobble stone, I got caught in a saturating
down pour. Siding all over those cobble's, learned real fast MC's
handle much different than bicyles.
Man when I got home, my mom and dad , brothers and sisters,
lot of friends even the man I bought the bike from were on the
driveway. Real concern, remember, decades before cell phone.
That was a 28 mile round trip first ride. 47 years later, seems
like last night.

Chaly

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
Yea, sort a. Late 60`s, early 70`s.
It was either on a Buddies 400 street\trail Kaw. Or another Buddies 750\4 Honda. Or a neighbors 70`ish Low Rider. All as a passenger.

First solo was on the Kaw. Just around my neighborhood. With the peg leg could`t shift out of first. (Did`t know about power shifting yet.) But was riding wheelies on it after a few minutes. Buddie thought it was awesome.
My folks about crapped themselves.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
13 years old.

It was 1991 and I got a 1988 Yamaha YSR50.

It was a street legal bike if I was of age and had it registered. Instead I used to take the plates off my moms bike and ride around town.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1413300910.200431.jpg

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
8 years ago. Bought my wife a Harley, thought it would be a good idea for me to take the class with her, just in case. Second day of the class I informed her she'd be sharing that bike. Started riding at age 50.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,486 Posts
Somewhere around 1962, we managed to revive an old Cushman scooter from the trash heap. Got it running and I took it down to the River Rd. (West Bank, New Orleans) and let her rip. Been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Oh ya Honda XR75 in about 1978 or 1979 and been on 2 wheels since. It's an addiction

·
Registered
44 Posts
1983 a Suzuki 90 loved that bike...

·
The dude abides
238 Posts
A pal's briggs & stratton powered minibike in grade school. I was seduced from that point. The first bike I owned was a '72 60cc Yamaha Mini Enduro that we bought used from a family friend, loved that thing!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I was 13 in 1968, and I had just save up enough dough to buy my new red Honda 50 Super Sport. That first ride with the other neighborhood kids was sheer nirvana. What a time! I still get that feeling today...not on the Honda 50 though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
first bike was a 1976 suzuki gt500 twin two stroke cannot remember where I bought it or how much but road it from seattle to los angeles and back twice in college slept on ground at rest stops - grandma was the only one in family worth visiting - had to see her twice per year - those were the days!

·
Registered
456 Posts
The year was 1955 the bike was a Cushman and then a Sears motorbike. the motor bike sold for $400.

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
first bike was a 1976 suzuki gt500 twin two stroke cannot remember where I bought it or how much but road it from seattle to los angeles and back twice in college slept on ground at rest stops - grandma was the only one in family worth visiting - had to see her twice per year - those were the days!
Grandma`s are always cool. Mine gave me the Flag from my Grandfathers casket. WWI Vet.
I was into the custom van thing back then. She told me to fly it proudly at the van meets.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My old man proped me up on the seat/tank of his 69' Sporty back in late 70' with the intention of shouting me up for the long trip from southeast Michigan to middle Tennessee. He kept asking if I wanted to get back in the car... You couldn't have yanked me off that bike with a chain! I rode all the way like a boss! I was 7 at the time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts