Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In November, Arizona, California, Maine, Massachusetts, and Nevada vote to join Alaska, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, and D.C. in adopting the legalization of recreational marijuana. If all states pass the legislation, nearly one quarter of the U.S. population will live where weed is legal.

What say you forum? Good or bad thing?

I fairly can't ask the question without offering an opinion. So here it is:

While substance ABUSE of any kind obviously has serious consequences, it is very difficult for me, based on past experiences and observations, to not describe the legal, everyday use of alcohol and tobacco and the illegality of cannabis as anything less than blatant hypocrisy. At this point in my life, I can't see me becoming a recreational cannabis user, but I still don't understand why, in a "free" country, those who choose to cannot without risk of criminal prosecution.

Finally, in those state where it is or may become legal, will employers be forced to stop testing for its use?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Good thing for sure. I have, did, done, do inhale :ducking

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
I like a Whisky Sour or Bloody Mary before a restaurant meal. And on a warm day/evening I like a cold beer, maybe two. But I don't abuse alcohol, and in enjoying a libation it is NOT my intent to get high or buzzed or drunk.

Weed being made legal doesn't interest me except for maybe the additional tax revenue it may provide and that would be maybe one of the few things taxed that wouldn't impact me. And generally I would not have a problem with someone else partaking in weed if that is their desire. But having said that, there is that issue of people enjoying weed and their intent, from the getgo, is to get high or buzzed or stoned. I would hope that those who may partake in enjoying their weed would do so responsibly and not put others in danger either on the road or anywhere else.

But of course there are those who do not use caution or always act responsibly with alcohol and weed usage wouldn't be any different. IMHO irresponsible behavior with weed OR alcohol should be dealt with sternly. You want to enjoy adult pleasures you must act like an adult.

·
Frozen Member
2,316 Posts
I think that at some point the feds will back off and put it in the same category as booze but I dont see drug testing going away any time soon, maybe in 20 years or so. Its a federal mandate that originated with train and commercial truck accidents where drivers were stoned, so it would be seen as a reversal of safety to do away with it.

Alaska just legalized selling weed last year and is just now to the point where retail stores will be allowed to open soon. Its yet to be seen how it will all work out here. Banks still refuse to handle accounts for "drug" money per the feds too, so theyre having issues with what are normal parts of all other small businesses. Because of the geography where you have to fly between many points and cant legally fly weed, but have to have THC content tested in a certified lab, many towns wont have access to legal weed so it will remain black market.

Personally I have seen much more harm done from booze than weed but its all in the excesses. Some people cant make good choices. I think that since booze is drunk and has flavor, people are more prone to drink too much when they drink at all, as opposed to smoking weed, but with edibles now that werent around in my younger days other than home-made brownies, I can see over consumption happening with that too.

·
Super Moderator
4,142 Posts
Looking at the news, heroin is a big epidemic. I would think the tax revenue from weed might help some recovery programs. I just wish it were more of a crime to be stupid / careless. Obama decriminalizing Crack and some of the harder drugs certainly doesn't help. I have no problem with weed, never did care for it but could care less if a stoner is enjoying himself. I think a big problem is that other drugs like PCP are added to it in some circles.

I find the Bath Salt (zombie apocalypse) pretty damn funny. I cant imagine taking a drug that encourages you to eat someone's face.

·
Registered
677 Posts
There is good and bad in everything.
The answer my friends is in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,315 Posts
NEVER WHILE ON THE JOB

I don't partake but I don't have a problem with anyone else using for recreational.

I'm super interested in the use of CBD oil for the treatment of many severe conditions including cancer and its remission.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
big tobacco and big booze big pharma will keep fighting this till the end -

i wouldnt make it legal for sale , imho the best thing to do is allow people to grow what they smoke.
this way the money spent on weed could be used for car payments kitchen upgrades ect ect .

·
Trashy Member
4,478 Posts
Sadly marijuana stays in your system for a lot longer than alcohol. If you drink on Saturday by Monday you are not "under the influence" anymore. If you smoke weed it is still in your system even if the high is long gone. When I was the safety director of the trash business up here I lost many a good driver who didn't know how long drugs stay in your system. Many more who applied and failed.

·
Try'n to behave
5,546 Posts
I see no difference between the final outcomes of cannabis use or the intake of alcohol.

In it's infancy, the ban on cannabis was established because government agencies had lost their legal standing to control the populace with the repeal of prohibition and thus had to find a new way to maintain their gainful employment (not the beginning of big government over reach, but rather an expansion of such). Prior to this, no one, scientists included, considered cannabis to be harmful. It was only after the pressure from certain government agencies that the tune changed. During the '60's and '70's, these flames were fanned once again to try and paint the hippies and war protesters in a bad light; to try and scare parents to the "dangers" of mary jane and what it causes their children to do. As is usual for this country's citizenry, it never conducted it's own investigation into the known research and so bit into the governments hype hook, line and sinker. To further this, the war on drugs has thrown untold amounts of tax dollars to city, state and federal police forces, effectively turning them into an army (just look at the way they dress, operate and the equipment they utilize now), so there is a financial incentive to continue to try to combat drugs...not to mention the power and control.

What an adult chooses to do on their own time, so long as it harms no one but themselves, is no concern of mine; nor should it be a concern to anyone else. Let the policing of this country's citizens actions begin at home, so to speak. If each person conducted themselves righteously, then as a whole the country would be righteous (as if that will EVER happen :rolleyes ).

The repeal of cannabis laws would certainly alleviate court congestion and prison over crowding...which may be a reason why states like Komifornikstan would be against it as their prison system corporations are huge earners for the state, and yet Komifornikstan is not against it. The reduction of arrests due to marijuana possession/use would then cause the national crime stats to be reduced as it is no longer classified as a "crime."

With the advent of road side THC testing available and being further developed, it is possible to prevent cannabis related DUI's...in as much as road side alcohol testing can prevent alcohol related DUI's. At the very least, people can be caught and punished accordingly...and I DO agree with that as it can and will affect other peoples lives in a negative manner. The same could be performed by an employer suspecting an employee of being under the influence.

So to sum it up; NO, I have no problem with the legalization of cannabis, as long as it is used responsibly and appropriately.

Legally, I say employers can restrict because it is still illegal, federally.
The only reason it is allowed to be regulated federally is because the feds utilize the interstate commerce clause to control and regulate it, which is a long stretch of the imagination if it is grown, sold and consumed wholely withing the confines of one state. The federal government uses the power of the purse to maintain compliance from the states; they threaten to withhold highway funding if states do not cow tow to their demands (we see this in the legal drinking age and speed limit requirements also)...which, if conducted by more nefarious organizations would be classified as extortion and be a prosecutable offense.

As with alcohol, there is a time and a place for everything. Employers do not control the consumption of alcohol in our off times (would you be in favor of allowing them to?), so how could they control any other legal activity? If they could, how long before they say riding your motorcycle is too dangerous and you are no longer allowed to do it? Until an employer pays for my time 24 hours a day, they only have say over the time I am being paid for.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
. . . Banks still refuse to handle accounts for "drug" money per the feds too, so theyre having issues with what are normal parts of all other small businesses. . . .
I have a colleague who lives in Denver. He and I had a very interesting conversation about this very fact. It seems because banks are federally regulated and unable to participate in this commerce, it is essentially an all cash business. He said some of the more successful retailers in the Denver area are hauling cash out of their establishments in armored trucks on daily basis. They're also buying up real estate and other hard assets as it is one of the few ways that you can invest and/or "launder" your LEGAL earnings. Further, local governments are forced to accept and process these cash payments along with dealing with the large amounts of cash they receive for payments of sales and property taxes.

If Cali adopts legal recreational use, it will be difficult for the banks to continue to do this. Something will have to give. It's estimated to be more than $1 billion in colorado for 2016. It would be at least 5-6 times that in California — likely more. There will be WAY too much cash money moving around at that point.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
If Alabama was also listed in that list it would be better, but since we're still stuck here in "The Bible Belt", we'll be one of the last states to pass it... :rolleyes I'm a Christian, but the old bible thumpers around here act like weed is "the devil's lettuce"... I mean, it's crazy how people think cannabis is as bad as dropping acid or smoking crack.

Personally, I am a big proponent of legalization and decriminalization. Just completely wipe it off the Schedule list and let it be. It's a damn plant. Tobacco you smoke these days has WAY more chemicals in it than naturally grown and dried weed. With all the nasty harmful substances that Big Tobacco puts in its products these days, natural weed is probably safer than smoking cigarettes. It's definitely safer than smoking anything Phillip Morris produces.

It has many medicinal properties, including being a natural pain killer, glaucoma medicine, and an anti-nauseam medication that will help chemotherapy patients be able to eat. Tobacco does none of those things.

If I could smoke weed legally, I would drink a lot less than I do. Just being honest.

·
Registered
21,333 Posts
If you have a Pistol Permit it can be revoked if your caught with weed or can be grounds to not issue a permit of you don't have permit and want one.......but the Gov't doesn't have a problem if you join the military , even if you admit to smoking weed......and hash......and dropping acid......
Or so i've heard.....not that I know what any of those things are :whistle

·
Trashy Member
4,478 Posts
Pred8er the only problem with that thought is what you do on your own time can effect their business. Truck drivers, machine operators etc. If you under the influence at a job at the Quick Mart and forget to change expiration dates on dairy products it is no biggie. Get in an accident with your garbage truck and test positive for pot or any drug even if the accident is not your fault and the company pays big time.

·
Official Forum [email protected]
3,582 Posts
Many good thoughts here both pro and con . Aside from the legalities and cautions that need be practiced , I'd like to bring up the ' everyday ' reality of weed use .
I ride with about 4 to 8 guys at most times and as we ALL know , we'll stop somewhere along the ride and take a break with a beer or two . 9 times out of 10 someone will fire up a joint or two ( or whatever term you use ) and just pass it around , ( just like a James Taylor concert back in the day...:laughing) . These are not young guys , these guys are in their 50's and 60's . The weed is no different than the beers...never have been . You can overdrink...but it's pretty hard to oversmoke ( especially if you run out of Twinkies ) so , like anything else we do...use your head...:know

1 - 20 of 179 Posts