Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, picked up a new 19 sport glide. The original dealer is not an option as they are out of state and also have given me nothing but problems from giving me wrong keys, parts and not even bothering to setup the security system but that's for another topic. It's my first harley and it has been next to impossible to find neutral. I put about 50 miles on it and never could get to neutral at a stop or from 1st gear. Even tested in an empty parking lot and could never get it. The only time I could get it was coming to a stop from 2nd. Any idea why?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Find another Harley dealer close to where you now live and let them wrestle with the issue. Any Harley dealer can and will honor the warranty

·
Wayward Son
23,223 Posts
Find another Harley dealer close to where you now live and let them wrestle with the issue. Any Harley dealer can and will honor the warranty
⬆True.⬆
⬇True too.⬇ (probably)
Give it a few thousand miles, it's NEW! It will get better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would not ride it as suggested because it is new.
Because it is new and doing it should be reason to get it checked out as soon as possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
See if you can find neutral while the engine is killed and if you can find it easy it's probably your hydraulic clutch and needs adjusting, bring to dealer as it's still in warranty.

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
May try lighter oil Run 10-40 Castrol Syn Motorcycle oil safe for cloches .. Very little 1st. gear crunch. Shifts smooth hot or cold

·
Registered
7 Posts
It usually does ... While making the "grand exit" ... Right there in front of everyone ... :wink

Cheers,
Smoketown
HAHA! This is sooooo true. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to shift from 1st to second, but ended up in neutral because I didn't push my heel down hard enough. In fact, I've found neutral between 2nd and 3rd several times, and even once between 3rd and 4th. I didn't think that was even possible...I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't actually done it. I've never actually looked to see if the green "N" light comes on in those instances (instinct is to instantly shift again), but you know when you roll the throttle and get nothing but exhaust roar that you are in "gear limbo".

·
Wayward Son
23,223 Posts
HAHA! This is sooooo true. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to shift from 1st to second, but ended up in neutral because I didn't push my heel down hard enough. In fact, I've found neutral between 2nd and 3rd several times, and even once between 3rd and 4th. I didn't think that was even possible...I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't actually done it. I've never actually looked to see if the green "N" light comes on in those instances (instinct is to instantly shift again), but you know when you roll the throttle and get nothing but exhaust roar that you are in "gear limbo".
Yep. There is an "unofficial" neutral between all the gears.
Even in the old 4 spds.
Not always easily found. Never intentionally. But it`s there. :nod

:think Do not believe the "N" light comes on for them.
Then again does not always come on when meant to either. Do not ask me how I know. :eek:
I learned quickly not to trust the light.
On the rare occasions I used neutral while the bike was running, I released the clutch sssslllllooooooowwwwwly to check.

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
On the rare occasions I used neutral while the bike was running, I released the clutch sssslllllooooooowwwwwly to check.
Yes, yes and yes...:grin

·
Wayward Son
23,223 Posts
:laugh

·
Wayward Son
23,223 Posts
@BigDoo
If you want someones attention to like I did with your screen name with there`s.
@EasyE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't gotten around to getting it to a dealer yet but so far I've put almost 200 miles on it. I probably have a 60% success rate at finding neutral at a stop now with a few tries, and a 30% success rate on first attempts. Sometimes its just not there and I'm looking like an idiot at stop lights clicking up and down for 2min. Other than that it seems to run smooth.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't gotten around to getting it to a dealer yet but so far I've put almost 200 miles on it. I probably have a 60% success rate at finding neutral at a stop now with a few tries, and a 30% success rate on first attempts. Sometimes its just not there and I'm looking like an idiot at stop lights clicking up and down for 2min. Other than that it seems to run smooth.
Best for your safety to keep bike in gear and watch your mirrors for vehicles approaching from behind. It could save your life.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts