Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 94 fatboy and finding neutral is impossible. Changing gears aint all that easy too. All linkage seems ok. Not sure what trans fluid is in there but it is new. Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
Try some 75w-140 gear oil in the transmission.

Reactions: scatgo

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Make sure the primary is not overfilled, the lube should just touch the outer shell of the clutch, bike straight up.

Adjust the clutch and clutch cable.

Adjust shifter pawl.

Attachments

·
Banned
181 Posts
R u used to HD in general?
If not it can be said they are tricky to find N.
Do your major /minor clutch adj.
I generally pop it N as I am coming to a stop,( its less of a fight.)
When cold they can be a real bear..B4 starting rock bike forward and back, this will move transmission and help .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many of the old jap bike of the 70's and 80's had a bolt behind the cylinders. The bolt pushed down on a spring that had a steel ball under it. A lot like the oil pump setup that keep the oil from draing into the crank on harleys. This ball sat in a shallow "Hole" the was on the shift drum. If you had problems finding netural you streached the spring or drilled the hole in the shift drum a little depper. You could see a where trail from the hole that would cause the problem with finding netrual.And that would fix it.
The tranmission cover has what might have the spring and ball in it but I think it is for the netrual light. Do you think it might be for both the light and to hold netrual? :crying

·
Banned
71 Posts
Many of the old jap bike of the 70's and 80's had a bolt behind the cylinders. The bolt pushed down on a spring that had a steel ball under it. A lot like the oil pump setup that keep the oil from draing into the crank on harleys. This ball sat in a shallow "Hole" the was on the shift drum. If you had problems finding netural you streached the spring or drilled the hole in the shift drum a little depper. You could see a where trail from the hole that would cause the problem with finding netrual.And that would fix it.
The tranmission cover has what might have the spring and ball in it but I think it is for the netrual light. Do you think it might be for both the light and to hold netrual? :crying
NO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try some 75w-140 gear oil in the transmission.
That did help some. Added some Molly lube I got from Amozon.com and that helped even more. If you look into it molybdenum is some great stuff. When added to engine oil I am sure it brings the oil up to sythetic level for less than half the price. Just dont want it anywhere near a wet clutch. Too slick.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Can be like the G spot on a skooter.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
You need to adjust the clutch to the proper specs. Make sure the oil isn't too full in the primary and it will shift just fine.

Moly is some slick stuff, but doesn't offer the advantages of a synthetic. Adding to engine oil, can cause some real problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You need to adjust the clutch to the proper specs. Make sure the oil isn't too full in the primary and it will shift just fine.

Moly is some slick stuff, but doesn't offer the advantages of a synthetic. Adding to engine oil, can cause some real problems.
+ 1
With the bike running give it a little throttle and it will slip right in to neutral. Get everything adjusted correctly and should be better

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. Thanks people. Ill get to it all and le you know how it works out.

Later

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Make sure the primary is not overfilled, the lube should just touch the outer shell of the clutch, bike straight up.

Adjust the clutch and clutch cable.

Adjust shifter pawl.
Shifter Pawl?? Can you give me a little more information on that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep just looked that up. Any tip or trick on that ajustment would be nice. Just spent the day dealing with the oil pump. Had some metal go through it almost sheared the keys. And I found that out from the sumping problem we just fixed. Thanks for the help on that one.Maybe Ill get to the clutch ajustments soon.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Yep just looked that up. Any tip or trick on that ajustment would be nice. Just spent the day dealing with the oil pump. Had some metal go through it almost sheared the keys. And I found that out from the sumping problem we just fixed. Thanks for the help on that one.Maybe Ill get to the clutch ajustments soon.
My question would be, where did that metal come from?

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
Check the H-D service manual in the clutch section for "3rd gear neutral adjustment". The adjuster screw and jam nut are on the left side of the trans just ahead of the sprocket next to the shift arm. Hex head or Allen screw with a jam nut.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My question would be, where did that metal come from?
Engine was seized from the bike being under water. Than it sat for 3 years. Broke a piston when I unseized it. Thought I got all the crap from the broken piston out of the crank but still coming up with bits and piece till this day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can be like the G spot on a skooter.
Found it! lol Ajusted the clutch again. This time I backed off the pushrod screw just a half turn. That helped alot. Just have to blip the gas while its still rolling and it will right into N.

Thanks

Later

1 - 20 of 23 Posts