Harley Davidson Forums banner

Car Wash Bays

10K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  pipewizard 
#1 ·
Does anyone take their bike to the car bays to wash your bike? I was told by the dealer not to do that, but I keep getting tempted, especially riding to work this morning. There's a 2 mile bridge over water and it's infested with bugs. Now my bike is covered in bugs - this is the dirtiest it's been. What do you all think? I know I would need to be careful when spraying the engine (at a distance and not real close/direct spray, etc.). If you think I should, any tips/advice?

#3 ·
Never use high pressure water.......Hand wash, rinse lightly with low pressure and blow dry then ride to thoroughly dry.

#4 ·
Interesting topic for me as I live in an area experiencing a long term, extreme drought. We are currently forbidden to wash any vehicles at home. The fines are quite high. (don't ask me how I know) Can only wash a vehicle where the water is recycled and/or a maintenance facility.

The only place that meets those requirements besides a car wash, are a detail shop and the local H-D dealer. That's gonna cost about $60 per wash job!

Been keeping mine fairly clean with the H-D spray cleaner, but can't do the rough finishes like the engine because you'd never get it all wiped off. Can't do the wheels as the over spray is too slick on the brakes.

I have been tempted to try the car wash bays by deflecting the spray somehow so it isn't a high pressure direct hit. Haven't figured out how do that yet.

Any ideas? I may just have to move. :)

#5 ·
The high pressure will force water into places that rain and other "naturally occurring" conditions never would. It's probably not wise.

You might be ok to carefully blast the bugs off the outer fairing and windshield if you were careful with the angles you used, but other than that, I don't think I would do it.

#6 ·
I understand the issues with the high power sprayers. You might consider stepping back away from the bike far enough to reduce the water pressure on the bike to a fine mist, it will be fine. You can use the sprayer to wet down the bike, then hand wash once done go back to the sprayer for a light rinse. Just don't stand too close to the bike and beat the you know what out of the bike with the pressure.

Just a thought.

#7 ·
I live in West Texas, there are many bugs here as well. I have been cleaning my bike with furniture polish for a couple years now. It takes a while to clean her up but the bugs seem to come off much easier now. You might want to give it a try. By the way, the bike looks fantastic when you get it all wiped down.
Remember, Ride Safe...

#8 ·
I used one regularly on my Dyna for 4 years with no ill effects. I stand back 7 to 8 feet and soak the bike for a minute then soap it and let it soak a minute then rinse it off. If I have a rag, I'll dry the tins and chrome fairly well and just ride it dry. From there I could detail it at my storage unit. Again... I stood back a ways, if there are tough boogers on the paint or something, then I get close up shoot that spot and back off again.

Now, I hand wash while parked in my Driveway, blow it dry and then take it for a ride on the Parkway.

If you have a garage, maybe you can wash it in your garage with the door closed. Maybe put some towels across the bottom so water doesn't leak out. I think I would look at making some condensation traps and use that water for washing.

#11 ·
I think I would look at making some condensation traps and use that water for washing.
Hey! Before you go posting up a new thread about garage condensation, did you do a search?:spar

We have a perfectly good garage condensation thread already.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

FWIW: I use a pressure washer all the time on my bikes. The trick is not to get too close or to think that your are going to blast off dirt or bugs with it. It works perfectly fine to wet down and rinse off the bike though...

#10 ·
I do out of necessity. I just don't use the high pressure trigger.

The apartments I live in have those taps that need one of those square keys to turn it on.

I take a break before pushing it into the stall to let it cool down as well.

Soap it up real good and use my hand to knock off the bugs.

Now have one of these on order, but I'll still have to wait till after hours or Sunday to wash my bike at home. :bluduh

#12 ·
i got me a cheapo harbor freight presure washer it say 1600 psi but i think its less. any way i use it on my bike i just be care full where i point it IE not at bearings oil dip stick ect. i get the bugs of the engine with that it works great and i dont stand back either but i dont just stick that dang thing up real close unless there is a spot that wont get clean.
then use the shop vac / blower (best thing ive bought) to dry it then go over the chrome with a cloth. oh ya i remove seat and leather stuff before hand too.:bikerguy:

#14 ·
Not in the garage, geezus out in the yard. You know them survival tricks where you put plastic down over a hole in the ground to collect water???? I'm trying to help you water starved tornado luvin guys wash your bikes. When I came home from a long ride, I used to lay by windshield down face first on the lawn. I'd wash the bike off and then do the shield. The condensation would soak all the bug crap and wash off nicely with the hose.

I don't know about recycled water but the pressure washer I used had Hot water.

#18 ·
I've done it. Especially when on long trips , lots of bugs, after a heavy rain. Mainly for the motor and fairing. Never had a problem. I also remove the seat first... makes for a dryer butt on the way home.

#19 ·
My car wash has a high pressure setting and a low pressure and a mist rinse setting.

Check the control box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.