Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i bought my bike it was titled in colorado,do i need to re-adjust
my carb?? i looked at the bottom of the carb and the plug is missing
on the adj screw and the slot looks like it had been adjusted before.
do i need to reset the screw or am i just worring for nothing...i changed mufflers with a set that i have taken the factory baffles out
of and it seems to run better than with the old mufflers on it.the old mufflers appeared to be very black with soot.i was just thinking that in colorado would the last owner have adjusted the carb to componsate for the lean air?and now being in wis does it need to be
adjusted....

·
Just Ride
3,200 Posts

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
When i bought my bike it was titled in colorado,do i need to re-adjust my carb??
Possibly..Don't know what the present set up is? I would suggest finding a good turner in your area and let him set up the bike. Gives you a good baseline to start with.

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think maybe this sunday i'll look at it,and it's cool and damp here
lately,that might be part of the issue i think i'm having....any idea
what the setting should be on the pilot screw?

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well on sunday i adjusted the pilot screw a little at a time and what
a difference so far,it runs better when cold,don't need the enrichment knob out as long as before,I think i needs a tad more adjustment but i think i'm close....thanks to all for the advice that i have recived in this forum...(again..)

·
Super Moderator
4,283 Posts
Is it a stock carb or S&S? Also, I had straight pipes on my 97 heritage and I got black soot, no back pressure I believe.

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
everything appears to be stock,the only change i made was replacing the mufflers,the engine blubbered before when useing the enrichment knob in the morning,and through the gears it justed sounded flat,after the muffler change it was kinda like nite and day
i took it for a ride after the i changed the mufflers and couldn't belive how much quicker it was.and after turning in the screw a little
the cold startablity was improved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts