Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I am recently a new Harley Davidson owner and I need a little help. The bike is a 1995 883 Hugger and I live in Maricopa County AZ. I am required to pass emissions testing in order to register the bike. I ran it through and failed Hydrocarbons miserably. Took it home, and tuned down the idle adjustment screw. At this point it basically idles just above a stall. I took it back through emissions and it failed again.
I posted a picture of the results below. My question is how do i tune the carb to pass emissions? Ive been told that there is an adjustment screw for fuel into the carb. Does anyone know where it is located and what a good mix of adjustment between the fuel adjustment screw and idle adjustment screw?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!:confused:confused:confused
Thanks!
Dom

·
Registered
38,946 Posts

Look on the bottom side of the carb, and see if the plug was removed exposing the idle mixture screw shown by the green circle in the photo.

Turn that screw in to lean out the mixture.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
. I once cheated on a car, pulled the air filter out, passed, drove around the corner and put it back in not a wrench, just a thought. Good luck

·
Registered
38,946 Posts
Yes the plug is removed. How much do I change the idle adjustment screw vs the idle mixture screw?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Count how many turns in the mixture screw goes until it just seats.

Should be ~2 turns if the jetting is correct for running right (but not for emissions testing). The plug removed tells me that that carb has been rejetted.

If it takes ~2 turns to lightly seat the idle screw, back it out 1 turn for emissions testing. Then after emissions testing, adjust the mixture to where it runs the best. Should be 2 - 2.5 turns out from lightly seated.

Adjust the idle speed to 1000 RPM any time after adjusting the idle mixture.

Or, you could take your screwdriver with you when you go to test, then just turn the screw in until it passes. Get your paperwork showing it passed. Then turn the screw back out right before you leave. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Count how many turns in the mixture screw goes until it just seats.

Should be ~2 turns if the jetting is correct for running right (but not for emissions testing). The plug removed tells me that that carb has been rejetted.

If it takes ~2 turns to lightly seat the idle screw, back it out 1 turn for emissions testing. Then after emissions testing, adjust the mixture to where it runs the best. Should be 2 - 2.5 turns out from lightly seated.

Adjust the idle speed to 1000 RPM any time after adjusting the idle mixture.

Or, you could take your screwdriver with you when you go to test, then just turn the screw in until it passes. Get your paperwork showing it passed. Then turn the screw back out right before you leave. :D
How do I adjust the idle speed to an exact amount?

They won't let me adjust while I'm testing. Tried that :-(

·
Registered
38,946 Posts
Without a tachometer you will have to guess. Idle speed wont have much of an effect on emissions testing though.

·
Retired citizen
23,206 Posts
You could remove the float bowl (4 screws circled in red) and install a #42 pilot jet. That was the original size jet that came in the carb and is real lean. Next adjust the slow air screw to get the engine to idle.
Also get the engine good and hot prior to the test, a good long ride will do.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
This is insane! Glad we don't have emmisions testing here because I know my bike wouldn't pass now or ever!! Do as stated above and you should be good to go...hopefully

·
Retired citizen
23,206 Posts
Wow, I just took a close look at the test sheet. They charged $19.00 for the test !!! Emissions tests in WI are free and we don't have to get bikes tested either.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Sounds like putting the smaller jet in would be your best bet to pass. Power Commander has C.A.R.B approved controllers for Calf fuel injected models , glad we don't have inspections here.

·
Registered
38,946 Posts

·
Retired citizen
23,206 Posts
I looked at the link, it doesn't indicate if the meter does RPM for single or two cylinder engines. A lot of the automotive meters only go down to four cylinder RPM read outs.

·
Retired citizen
23,206 Posts
I enlarged the pic, it looks like the meter only goes down to 3 cylinder readouts.

·
Registered
38,946 Posts

·
Retired citizen
23,206 Posts
I've got two multimeters that display RPMs and neither display on single and two cylinder engines ! ??? Also have a digital timing light that rarely flashes on one or two cylinder engines but works fine on car and truck engines !
Jeez, sorry for high jacking this thread !!!

·
Registered
38,946 Posts
Well, I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

I thought you were trying to say that the readout would be incorrect,
not that there would be no readout at all...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes. Doubtful you can get it to run with it all the way in though.
with the idle adjustment only 1.5 turns out i adjusted the mixture screw 3/4 a turn out as lean as possible before a stall.

Sounds like putting the smaller jet in would be your best bet to pass. Power Commander has C.A.R.B approved controllers for Calf fuel injected models , glad we don't have inspections here.
Yah emissions sucks ass!

Wow, I just took a close look at the test sheet. They charged $19.00 for the test !!! Emissions tests in WI are free and we don't have to get bikes tested either.
Yah $19 for the test and if you fail 1 retest is free.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts